Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown Problem - Mcafee And Adware Won't Scan, Hijackthis Deemed Clear.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Niceorange

Niceorange

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 14 February 2008 - 01:35 PM

Hi folks,

I was referred to this forum by Old Timer who reviewed my hijackthis and WinPFind3u logs and said both look clear.

Almost overnight, my recently formatted laptop (Latitude D610 1.86centrino/1024mb) has just crashed in speed, wireless connectivity, etc.

The problems that I have include the following:

- When I first start Windows XP pro SP2 everything freezes for a minute or so, and then everything runs pretty smooth. Often windows security center will flash a warning balloon after the freeze ends that Virus scanning is disabled. Generally by the time I open the security center McAfee is back up and working.

- When trying to do a system scan in McAfee (Enterprise 8.5), it hangs scanning C:/windows/system32/mqrt.dll

- When I try to scan with Adware, it also hangs when scanning within the system32 folder, often the system32/microsoft folder.

- When trying to scan, I will sometimes get a warning message that my physical network adapter is disabled. Sometimes I have to restart to get things working again.

- When the computer is up and running, it will sometimes freeze up with the same symptoms as during a restart. It takes a few minutes to recover.

What I have done is:

- Reinstalled McAfee and updated it.
- Reinstalled Adware
- Cleared all temp files and temp internet, etc. both with windows tools and ATF cleaner.
- Run Stinger and other scan tools suggested on the hijackthis forum.
- Posted this thread which was reviewed by Old Timer:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/129845/unknown-virus-cant-scan-with-mcafee-or-adware-mqrtdll-to-blame/

Thank you for any help you can provide me.

Kevin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped, new avatar (a camel) :0)

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 14 February 2008 - 02:20 PM

Have you scanned your hard drive for errors? If not, try these things first:

1) Go to Start...Run...and type in "chkdsk /f /r" (without the quotes) and press Enter. It'll ask you if you want to schedule it for the next reboot. Type "Y" for yes and press Enter. Then reboot and let it scan your system.

2) Install this free program to give a general idea of the state of your hard drive: http://www.hdtune.com/download.html

3) Check your Event Viewer for errors around the times of the freezing. To do this, go to Start...Run...and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Click on the System log in the left hand pane and view the log in the right hand pane. Do the same thing for the Application log.

4) Open up Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and click on the Processes tab. Then click on the View menu item, then on Select Columns, then put a check in the IO Reads box. Click OK to exit the dialogs, then resize the Task Manager window so you can see all the columns. Then, when the system starts to freeze, look at the columns to see what's taking up the most resources (the CPU, Memory, and IO Reads columns). Let us know the name of the process(s) and if there's a lot of difference or just a little difference between the other values (you can sort the columns by click on them).

Let us know the results of these tests and we can move on from there.
- John
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users