Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pci.sys Missing Or Corrupt?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Parksy

Parksy

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 01:59 PM

Hello again guys!!

Windows xp sp2, 256ram, 2x 40gb hard drives(not raid), was all working fine for months!. Next day switched on and got

'windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt :system32\drivers\pci.sys'

If i go into boot options an try safe mode, command prompt etc the comp just hangs. If i boot from windows xp cd, i cannot get to part of 'repair' on cd or i cannot re-install windows as i get this error

'an un-expected error (268370096) occurred at line 1773in d:\xpsprtm\base\boot\setuparcdisp.c.'

i changed boot order in bios so the hdd without windows on had priority to try and install windows on this hdd, but again computer just froze.....have had a little read some say memory, some say just a repair will do it, but i cant get into that stage on the windows xp disk! I have tried the xp cd on my working pc and all the options are accessibe.

Any help would be much appreciated! and keep the good work up guys :thumbsup:

Parksy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,505 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 03:00 PM

http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid...7642&page=1

Bill Castner is a very knowledgeable guy, so I would follow his guidance.

Louis

#3 Parksy

Parksy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 05:43 AM

Hiya Ham, thanks for your reply I will have a little read and see what I can come up with!!

Cheers for yur help :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users