Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Jerky Video Playback

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 beachbuoy

beachbuoy

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 23 January 2008 - 03:02 PM

I have been playing video clips (embedded in websites like youtube etc) satisfactorily for a long time using Windows XP.
In the last few days these clips will only play in a very jerky way with no smooth stream. I cannot figure out the problem. I haven't changed anything recently like new software etc.
I'd really appreciate any help that anyone can give. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,465 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 05:38 PM

Do you have the latest version of Flash?

#3 beachbuoy

beachbuoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:08 PM

Frankp, I'm grateful to you for your reply but I'm not a great computer man! Where would I get this "Flash"?
Thanks again for taking the time to help me.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,465 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:18 PM

At the following link.

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/do...=ShockwaveFlash

#5 beachbuoy

beachbuoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 01:47 PM

and thanks for such a quick reply! I've downloaded the flash plugin Frank and the jerkiness is still exactly the same, I'm afraid.

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,465 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 07:08 PM

What browser are you using? It could be browser compatibility. Have you tried sites other than Youtube or is it just Youtube? If it's something other than Youtube, post some links and I'll look at them.

#7 beachbuoy

beachbuoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 04:44 PM

Hi Frank....I have both Mozilla and firefox installed and the problem is the same with both of them. Both of them worked fine up until a few weeks ago. I can't remember doing any major changes to the computer since then. Virginmedia.com sport section plays football clips. Youtube is another. Both of these are jerky. The only place I've found where it doesn't jerk is the BBC iplayer screen!

#8 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,465 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 07:23 PM

I don't live in England so I can't watch clips at Virginmedia. But I went there anyway and they don't use Flash. They use Windows Media. Also, I've noticed that sometimes there are compatibility issues with Firefox and some video sites. I use IE6. Suggestion #1:Make sure you have the latest version of Windows Media Player. That would be WMP11. You can find it at the Microsoft Update site. Suggestion #2:Mozilla recently issued a new version of Firefox so you should update that. Some of these video sites can get awfully touchy when you don't have the latest version of certain things. I'm not familiar enough with Firefox to know about any tweaks or extensions that might help.

#9 beachbuoy

beachbuoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2008 - 09:37 AM

Thanks Frank...I'll try all of that!

#10 raywode

raywode

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2009 - 06:13 AM

I too have the same problem of jerky video playback (on YouTube only) and I too changed nothing in the way of software or hardware that could have caused this. I have a high-speed (10 megabits per second) connection. I posted to YouTube's help forum over 2 months ago but since their initial response, they've ignored me. I followed their instructions (see below) but it didn't fix the problem. Any ideas as to what it could be and how it can be fixed would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ray

Liz YouTube support has posted an answer to the question "jerky video playback":
Hi there,
How odd! I suggest the following steps to try and optimize playback. Hopefully this helps videos play more smoothly again.
-- Upgrade to the most recent version / newest version of your web-browser (aka Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari etc.).
-- Uninstall the current version of Adobe Flash player that you're running on your computer. Then, once you've uninstalled it, go to the Flash website and download & install the most recent version of the Flash player.
-- Temporarily disable any ad-blocking software you may have installed to see if this helps you play videos.
Thanks for visiting the Help Forum and posting your question! Good luck :thumbsup:
~ Liz

#11 x.rae

x.rae

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2009 - 04:44 PM

I have this same issue when viewing videos on YouTube, in Picasa, in Windows Media Viewer, QuickTime, and others. As with the other posters, this seemed to happen suddenly.

#12 beachbuoy

beachbuoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2009 - 09:06 AM

Hi xrae
I solved my problem by downloading a different player.
VLC media player makes it work a treat!

#13 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,465 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2009 - 11:02 AM

VLC won't solve the Youtube problem.

#14 beachbuoy

beachbuoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2009 - 01:02 PM

That's true Frank but it might help with the rest

#15 x.rae

x.rae

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2009 - 11:51 PM

Here's the solution I found (my post from another thread). My computer is back to "normal."

Glory hallelujah, I think it's fixed!

(For the moment anyway!)

It seems that the hard drive reverted to PIO mode rather than UDMA. I diagnosed using the comments on several sites and used the fixes outlined here:
http://neodon.blogspot.com/2006/07/little-...hard-drive.html
http://www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57588
http://winhlp.com/node/10
and elsewhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users