Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Schedule Startup And Shutdown - Windows Xp Home

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 deanpcmad

deanpcmad

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 12:21 PM

Hey,

How can I schedule a Startup and Shutdown or hibernate in Windows XP Home?

I have heard about 'Wake On LAN' but I am puzzled by how to do it :thumbsup:

Thanks
deanpcmad

deanpcmad

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 05:50 PM

You can have the hard drive and/or monitor shut down at a preset time of inactivity in Control Panel> power options.The Wake-On-LAN option, if applicable is a setting in the BIOS. Some motherboards also have a jumper you have to change for that option
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 deanpcmad

deanpcmad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 06:43 AM

Thanks for the reply.

But, I don't want the PC running overnight and with no Keyboard, Mouse or Monitor attached (as its going to be a File Server), I don't need the Power Options in Control Panel. What I want it to do is Schedule a Startup at about 8:00AM and Shutdown at about 10:00PM. Is there anything I can do to do this?
If I have found the Wake-On-LAN options in the BIOS what do I do?

Thanks
deanpcmad

deanpcmad

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped, new avatar (a camel) :0)

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 08:41 AM

Scheduling a shutdown is fairly easy. Create a new task to run at the time of the shutdown - and use the command "shutdown.exe" (without the quotes) to shut the system down. Open up a command prompt and type "shutdown /?" (without the quotes) in order to see the optional switches that you can use for this.

Starting up will require some more thought - as it's just not that easy to start Windows with a Windows tool when Windows isn't running. Others may have some suggestions for this as I'm not familiar with it.
- John
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **

#5 deanpcmad

deanpcmad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 02:43 PM

Thanks for the reply usasma! I will do this. I have just found on the 'shutdown /?' that I can hibernate.

I think I will hibernate and then probably use 'Wake-On-LAN' but I don't know how to do this!

deanpcmad

deanpcmad

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 06:31 PM

Thanks for the reply usasma! I will do this. I have just found on the 'shutdown /?' that I can hibernate.

I think I will hibernate and then probably use 'Wake-On-LAN' but I don't know how to do this!

deanpcmad

Like I said before, you'll have to check with the motherboard mfg. because some have a jumper to change. Others will just have you enable Wake-on-LAN with the BIOS. Once enabled and your computer's on standby, when some one accesses the server it will turn back on and respond
I'm not so sure this is your best option
http://gsd.di.uminho.pt/jpo/software/wakeonlan
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#7 deanpcmad

deanpcmad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2008 - 02:44 PM

I'm not so sure this is your best option

Why not? Which way (if any) is better? Just turning on the Server the usual way (the Power Button).

deanpcmad

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped, new avatar (a camel) :0)

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2008 - 03:30 PM

I'd suggest turning it on manually. That's what they do at my wife's office. The first person in turns on the File Server and the rest of the workstations (although the inner-office computer is running 24 hours a day). The reason for the sequence is that the workstations automatically logon to the file server and execute the program there (so they won't work if the File Server isn't already on).
- John
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **

#9 deanpcmad

deanpcmad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2008 - 03:37 PM

Thanks for the fast reply. :thumbsup:

I think I will do it that way. Ill just make sure my Mum or Dad turn the Server on before they turn the main office PC on.

Thanks
deanpcmad

deanpcmad

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 09:57 PM

Trolling around the net, I found this
http://www.aquilatech.com/Products/WakeOnLan/
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users