Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Delete Scrap.shs File?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jzach28

jzach28

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 11:34 AM

Hi there,

Just recently I transfered some files from My Documents into my My Pictures directory. Actually, its a word document containing some images. I did copy pasted some images into another folder. Then a Scrap.shs file just came out instead of the images that I am copying. I did googled about scrap.shs file and have read that the copying and pasting might have caused the said incident. But whenever I would delete it, it would say that the file is in use and cannot delete the file and I need to close the running application or used file first. Can somebody how to delete this file? I am also paranoid that this might be a virus.

Thanks! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

He who makes a beast out of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man. - Dr. S. Johnson

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 11:50 AM

"What Is a Scrap (.shs) File?".
"Scrap Files".
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#3 jzach28

jzach28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2008 - 12:07 PM

Thanks there quiteman7, actually, I have read about that in google. My problem is how to delete the file. It said that it might have been a file which I you might have put on your desktop, but I don't remember putting any except for creating a desktop shortcut icon. I did delete the said icon hoping that it would also delete the scrap file thinking it might be possible, but still the scrap file existed. Is there anyway to delete this file? Is this might be a virus? Thanks!
Posted Image

He who makes a beast out of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man. - Dr. S. Johnson

#4 jzach28

jzach28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2008 - 12:13 PM

I did tried drag and dropping from a directory to another and it was successful. It was located in My Documents folder and did drag and drop it into My Music folder and from their I tried to delete it. Into my surprise it was successfully deleted. Is that okay? Why I was able to delete it into another directory? :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,377 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2008 - 08:50 PM

Glad to hear you resolved another one of Microsoft's mystery's. :thumbsup:

#6 jzach28

jzach28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2008 - 11:37 PM

yah, may be..thanks for the info anyway. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,377 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:04 AM

Your welcome. :thumbsup:

#8 kraka2zaz

kraka2zaz

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 04 November 2008 - 04:15 PM

:flowers: Do not bother urself with the dos and other wise things.All i found out myself after 1 hour messing about the SCRAP files-b4 u r taking a step to delete the files,u MUST RESTART ur computr,that is:/i could not even rename them/>restart>drag them to another place/if they r in folder-drag them on to desktop/>restart>drag in to recycle bin>empty the bin,and u r done!Good luck! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users