Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Access The Internet In Normal Mode

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ckm

ckm

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 01:17 PM

I have the same problem. I can access the internet in safe mode but not in normal mode. During startup 2wire lights up red but turns gray when the internet connection is made. My other computer also works fine. I have tried IE 6 & 7. I've tried the Winsockxpfix and Lspfix. Neither worked. All lights are solid green on the 2wire router. When Ie test the connect it finds no problem. There is definitely a connection. Something happens during normal startup. Please help

Mod Edit: Post split from Please Help, No Internet Access, ~TMacK

Edited by ckm, 13 January 2008 - 01:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 02:20 PM

Hello,

Can anything else connect to the internet for example messenger, skype? also do you have a firewall? something could be blocking port80 It could also be a problem with IE have you tried another browser?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 ckm

ckm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 02:37 PM

Yes, I have tried other browsers. I can get my emails thru Outlook Express just fine. Yes, I can access Messenger. This happened after I was working with WindowsLive. I am using XP. I wondered if upgrading to Vista would solve the problem. Doesn't seem like it would. I have turned off Windows firewall and deleted Nortons. It does appear to be some kind of firewall but I can't find it. Thanks for any help.

Edited by ckm, 13 January 2008 - 02:47 PM.

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 03:12 PM

Did the other browsers work?
How did you remove nortons? did you use the removal tool provided at their website?
Regards,

Alan.

#5 ckm

ckm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 03:39 PM

No, the other browser, Firefox and Yahoo, did not work. The Nortons came from the Yahoo website. I used the uninstall software in Contro Panel. The Yahoo/2wire installation disk does not complete because it can not access the internet.

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 04:13 PM

In that case it is most likely a problem with port 80 being blocked, http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...005033108162039 is the link for the norton removal tool, you should run this to remove theparts of norton that would have been left behind.

Go to control panel->administrative tools-> event viewer. are there any errors and warnings?
Regards,

Alan.

#7 ckm

ckm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 04:33 PM

Yes, there are a lot of errors. I did the Norton removal tool. No change. I removed Nortons after the problem started. I do get an error C:Program files 1/ symantac/s32evnt1.dll failed. Thanks

Edited by ckm, 13 January 2008 - 04:56 PM.

#8 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 05:52 PM

If the removal tool did what it was supposed to, that error shouldn't be there.

http://www.download.com/Advanced-WindowsCa...6-10407614.html download this tool and tell it to run, I believe your computer is having some serious problems. You need to check your device manager for errors specifically in the network adaptors, using the winsock and lsp fixers may have caused some damage.

What do the errors say in the event viewer?
Regards,

Alan.

#9 ckm

ckm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 07:27 PM

Thanks for the download info. That found and corrected a lot of stuff. The event viewer errors were DCOM, Service Control Manager, and one MRXSmb. The 2Wire Homeportal on the one computer is still disconnecting when the internet connection is made. Still no browser. Can still get email and messenger. Is there still the possibility of a unseen firewall? I reinstalled the 2Wire Homeportal using USB and then ethernet. Both connect to internet fine, but that computer does not browse. This one still works great.

Edited by ckm, 14 January 2008 - 12:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users