Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Screen Goes White

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Toadsage

Toadsage

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 01:21 AM

K, I have a Dell Inspiron 9400, and I put a Intel 2 duo processor in it about a year ago. I was playing this game called world of warcraft on it, and it worked fine for months. I tried to play it again one night, and within minutes of playing it, the screen kinda blended with white pixels, then went all white. I tried to restart it, and the computer did it again within minutes. I waited till the next morning, and the computer worked fine. I could use 3Dmax, starcraft...ect. Anyways, I tried to play world of warcraft again, and it happened again within seconds. I would really appreciate any help that you can give me on this.

Things ive tried:
System restore-
Hooking it up to another monitor-Display on both monitor and laptop goes white.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 18,350 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:32 AM

Hi Toadsage, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

Could you pleas supply us with some information, how much RAM do you have, what is the wattage of your PSU, how much free space do you have on your hdd, and what video card are you using?
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.  Groucho Marx

#3 Toadsage

Toadsage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 01:24 PM

Thanks.

lets see
Ram 2.00
Graphics card Nvidia Gforce Go 7800, 256 MB
27GB free space
70GB total
2.33 ghz
960 mhz

Oh yea, I had my computer on for about 15 minutes, just looking at information on this, and it pixilized to white again.
Anyways, I appreciate the help, and I hope that information will help solve it.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:40 PM

Be sure to check it the graphics card fan is operational and not plugged with lint. Maybe even reseat the card
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Toadsage

Toadsage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:01 PM

K, I took the graphics card out of the machine, and put it back in, and cleaned out the fan. I left the keyboard off when I tuned it on, and the heatsink over the graphics card got extremly hot within 5 minutes of it being on. The fan seemed to be working, as in I could kinda hear it, but it didnt feel like it was blowing any air out of the back.

Soo.. I'm thinking it might be the fan, or the graphics card, what do you guys think?

Edit: K, I put a toothpick through the back of the machine, and I didnt feel any resistance where it should of hit the fan, soo... the fan Is not on. I have a duplicate computer, and it does hit the fan when I put the toothpick in. Im assuming there is a chance that I might of ruined my graphics card if it heats up that much in 5 minutes right... or is that usuall for no fan being on?

Edited by Toadsage, 08 January 2008 - 06:12 PM.

#6 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:12 PM

Do you have another graphics card you can try in your PC other than your 7800? Chance are that if your fan isn't wizzing around on the graphics card it would appear to me that your card is knackered, in that your card isn't being cooled!
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#7 Toadsage

Toadsage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 08:28 PM

So should I take the graphics card out of my duplicate computer, put it in the broken computer, and see if it turns the fan on?

Edited by Toadsage, 08 January 2008 - 08:30 PM.

#8 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 04:20 AM

Providing that the card from you duplicate machine is fits I would, its definitely a cheap way to sort out a problem!
Posted Image

#9 Toadsage

Toadsage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 06:23 PM

Yea, they didnt fit. It was soo close too, the hole that would of let it set in there only needed to be another cm and it would of been perfect. Oh well, I did manage to hook the fan from the other computer into the broken one, and it still doesnt turn the fan on.

I have noticed that both fans are not turning on in my computer, chances are that its my motherboard then ?

#10 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2008 - 07:07 AM

What make and model of motherboard & PSU do you have?
Posted Image

#11 Toadsage

Toadsage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2008 - 10:45 AM

The power supply is built into the motherboard, and its a dell inspiron 9400 motherboard.

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 01:20 PM

Let's clear up some confusion
Your post title says "laptop screen goes white". The remainder of this thread is talking about a desktop, correct?
There is no power supply attached to the motherboard (it plugs into the motherboard). The power supply is the metal box on top of the case, in the back.
What is it you are referring to?
When you say both fans are not turning in your computer, which fans are you referring to? Both graphics card fans that you tried or the graphics card fan and the fan attached to the CPU heatsink?
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 10 January 2008 - 01:30 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#13 Toadsage

Toadsage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2008 - 02:06 PM

Wait, I am talking about a laptop, not a desktop.
K, I am still, and at least thought I have been talking about a laptop this entire time. Yes, I do plug the power cord into the back of the motherboard. There is two fans in my laptop, one that cools the cpu, and one that cools the graphics card. Both of those fans are not turning on.

#14 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 05:26 AM

Bit of a mixup here sounded like a laptop problem then turned into a desktop! Oh well.... Is your laptop still under warranty? Sounds like a motherboard problem especially with the CPU fan not comming on!
Posted Image

#15 Toadsage

Toadsage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 12:20 PM

Yea, It doesnt have a warranty, but I can buy a new motherboard for it off ebay for like.. 125$, So not way to expensive. Do you think I should buy one and see if it fixes it. I can always put it back on ebay if it didnt fix the problem, and only be out like 10$ for shipping.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users