Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Log Into Any Accounts - Hotmail, Facebook, Ebay...help!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jennifero_hanlon

jennifero_hanlon

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 07 January 2008 - 05:17 PM

Hi There,

Hopefully you might be able. This is driving me crazy. Yesterday evening (and numerous times today) I tried to log into my Hotmail but was told that either my username or password were incorrect even though neither have been changed in at least 5 years if not longer and had been working fine 12 hours previous. When I tried to access my accounts in Ebay and Facebook I had the same problem. I have tried it through both Mozilla Firefox and IE7. I tried accessing my accounts from work today and had the same problem. Any help gratefully accepted. Thx.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 07 January 2008 - 05:29 PM

Logging into eBay has always been a pain for me. Try deleting your cookies, history and temp. files
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 jennifero_hanlon

jennifero_hanlon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2008 - 05:35 PM

Hi Mark,

Have tried that already to no success. Thx anyway.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R. I. T.S. (and proud of it)

• Global Moderator
  • 9,530 posts
  •  
  • Location:Tuscaloosa, Alabama. No, I am not an Alabama fan. WAR EAGLE!!!
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 07 January 2008 - 06:09 PM

Jennifer, do you have anything Norton on your computer?

#5 ^MavericK!

^MavericK!

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 05:35 PM

I tried accessing my accounts from work today and had the same problem.

You mean you try this in another PC/system and still have the same issue.

Have you shared this info with someone or opened in a shared PC?

Mav

Edited by ^MavericK!, 10 January 2008 - 05:36 PM.

#6 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 05:50 PM

are you aware if this problem started on your home computer first?

what antivirus programs have you installed and run and have you run any other scans that locate nasties and if so what??

#7 jennifero_hanlon

jennifero_hanlon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 03:58 PM

hi ruby1,

yep problem first started this day last week on my home laptop. i'd allowed my brother to use it and it was after this that the problem arose. he swears blind he didn't do anything out've the ordinary but he was checking his own hotmail account. i've run a full AVG scan which has come back clear. at this stage my communications with hotmail and ebay show that they think i'm attempting to defraud my own account and have advised that i set up new accounts but this is no good to me as i have work and personal emails on my hotmail that i need to access as well as ongoing transactions on ebay. i haven't attempted to contact facebook or bebo yet as i'm sure i'll get the same response so i'm hoping that someone here might be able to shed some light. this is driving me crazy!

#8 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 06:31 PM

I would suggest you get the experts on here to check you out in the HJT section
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

have a look at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/ to see what preparation they require from you ; I think you cannot rule out an infection or two on the computer ; and the team needs to see what IS going on to help you to reclaim your computer and your accounts

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 33,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 07:18 PM

What I find very troubling is that you cannot log in to your accounts from other computers. This suggests to me that someone has found out your passwords and changed them. I'm also concerned that if you do on-line banking, use paypal etc. that these accounts may also have been compromised or could be if they aren't already. Given that, I would go to a computer that you know isn't compromised and change all passwords on accounts that you can still log in to. Also, contact your financial institutions etc. and alert them that you might have been a victim of identity theft. Request a transaction listing dating from the time your brother was on the computer and check for anything that you didn't do. I do agree that additional and deeper looks for possible malware is in order. While your brother may not have compromised your system directly, he might have surfed to a site that has caused the damage.

Note for the future: When allowing someone else to use your computer, set up a guest account for him or her.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SuperAntiSpyware, SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#10 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 07:37 PM

the acounts you now cannot log into you SHOULD be able to find a tab seeking a 'reminder of password' option?

try that for starters?

as for Banking, as Orange blossom rightly says, you are strongly advised to contact ALL Banking facilities you have had on line dealign with to inform them of your possible probelm and get accounts 'frozen'

get a log posted ASAP IN the HJTsection for the team to check out the full extent of what appears to be an identity theft event;

if you have any Credit/debit cards? you need to advise THEM of your situation too ; you may well be security compromised now :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users