Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Program Needs Your Permission To Continue (so?!)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 07:27 PM

Hi,

I use Windows Xp. I have tried Windows Vista installed on my sister's PC and cousin's laptop. It's kind of slow to me although it looks great.

But so far the only thing that seems to irritate me is this:

"A program needs your permission to continue

If you have started this program, continue"

I know it is for security reasons but why the pop up all the time?! I am starting to get fed up of responding to this all the time. Is there a way of disabling it?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped, new avatar (a camel) :0)

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 07:35 PM

Yes, but if you disable it, you forgoe the security of it (there's no adjustment feature).
- John
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **

#3 Juha

Juha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 08:53 PM

Why the need for this feature? Did Microsoft think this will make it safer than in Xp? Isn't installing router/firewall already enough?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped, new avatar (a camel) :0)

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 07 January 2008 - 06:15 AM

If a piece of malware gets on your system and attempts to install itself, this feature is designed to give you one last chance to stop it. IMO that's a good thing, but the implementation didn't leave room for exceptions so it's become a royal PITA (again IMO)
- John
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **

#5 EwenB

EwenB

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 04:45 PM

Go into your "Help and Support", type "User Account Control" in the search field and the method of disabling this is shown there. If no-one else uses your computer you can safely disable it.

#6 Juha

Juha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2008 - 08:41 AM

Thanks EwenB. I don't personally have Vista on my computer. I am currently on Xp but checked Vista on Sister's and Cousin's computer.

So, that might be an option when I get my own one!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users