Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive Is Not Accessible

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JE617

JE617

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 04 January 2008 - 08:50 PM

About a week ago I purchase a SimpleTech 320 GB External Hard Drive. It worked fine on my old laptop (a Toshiba Satellite). I bought a new laptop yesterday a Sony Vaio and now when I plug in my HD, it will show up on my computer but when I try to click it to open the files it says "Location is Not Available. H:/ is not accessible. Access is denied." The weird thing is if I go to search and search for the title of a song that's saved on my HD, it will find it, let me click it and play it. But when I try to open the drive itself to look at or use any of the content itself or move a file (so that I can transfer it to my MP3 player etc.) it won't let me. My laptop operates on Vista if that makes any difference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 09:16 PM

Did the drive come with a driver disk? Also, go to Start>Run put in compmgmt.msc and hit enter. When the new window opens up, go to disk management. Look to the right and see if it is listed there and has a drive letter assigned to it. If it is there without a drive letter than right click on that space and there is an option to assign one.
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 JE617

JE617
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 09:41 PM

About a week ago I purchase a SimpleTech 320 GB External Hard Drive. It worked fine on my old laptop (a Toshiba Satellite). I bought a new laptop yesterday a Sony Vaio and now when I plug in my HD, it will show up on my computer but when I try to click it to open the files it says "Location is Not Available. H:/ is not accessible. Access is denied." The weird thing is if I go to search and search for the title of a song that's saved on my HD, it will find it, let me click it and play it. But when I try to open the drive itself to look at or use any of the content itself or move a file (so that I can transfer it to my MP3 player etc.) it won't let me. My laptop operates on Vista if that makes any difference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello, thanks for the response.
I followed your instructions but when I right click the drive without a letter the only option listed is "help" and following the help instructs me to do what I just did but states that there should be an option that says "initialize disk" but there isn't.

The hd came with a disk but all that is on the disk is a guide to using the HD, no software or install information or anything.

#4 JE617

JE617
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 09:50 PM

Did the drive come with a driver disk? Also, go to Start>Run put in compmgmt.msc and hit enter. When the new window opens up, go to disk management. Look to the right and see if it is listed there and has a drive letter assigned to it. If it is there without a drive letter than right click on that space and there is an option to assign one.
Mark

I quoted incorrectly but I was obviously replying to you and not myself garmanma lol

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:21 PM

Click Start, click Control Panel, click System. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager and look for any yellow exclamation points by the drive
Mark
Also make sure you're logged in as administrator. Do you by chance use Norton's GoBack?
http://www.geekzone.co.nz

http://www.computerhope.com
http://www.microsoft.com

Edited by garmanma, 04 January 2008 - 10:33 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#6 JE617

JE617
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 02:46 PM

Click Start, click Control Panel, click System. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager and look for any yellow exclamation points by the drive
Mark
Also make sure you're logged in as administrator. Do you by chance use Norton's GoBack?
http://www.geekzone.co.nz

http://www.computerhope.com
http://www.microsoft.com

Hmm I tried that and there were no yellow exclamation points anywhere. And no I do not use Norton's GoBack.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 06:01 PM

Does the drive have it's own power cord or is it powered through the USB cable? Are there any other USB devices plugged in?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 06:10 PM

Whoops

Mark

Edit: double post

Edited by garmanma, 06 January 2008 - 10:08 AM.

Mark
Posted Image

#9 JE617

JE617
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 12:25 AM

Does the drive have it's own power cord or is it powered through the USB cable? Are there any other USB devices plugged in?
Mark

It has it's own power cord and there are no other USB devices plugged in.

#10 JE617

JE617
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2008 - 05:37 PM

I had a friend who was more familiar with Vista take a look at it and they corrected the issue for me. Thank your for all your help though!

#11 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 18 January 2008 - 05:43 PM

If you know what your friend did to correct the problem, would you post it here, please, so that it could benefit others (like me, for example :thumbsup: )?

Thanks!

#12 JB2001

JB2001

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 02 September 2009 - 03:16 AM

Hi I also have a SimpleTech Simple Drive 320gb external and just recently ran into a similar problem. My computer cannot recognize the drive and displays the message "E:\ is not accessible, Access is denied." I am also using Vista, but have no idea how to fix this problem. I have tried restarting the computer, but it fails to recognize the external. However odly enough I can access photos when I change the desktop background. But clicking on the letter drive itself in 'My Computer' gives me the same error message. Help! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users