Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ie Script Errors--some Pages Don't Redirect

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 realbbbb

realbbbb

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 06:50 PM

Hi,

I encountered a minor problem today which I believe is due to a virus/trojan/malware and would like to get fixed.

First, here is a description of what has happened. In Internet Explorer, I get script errors on certain pages which causes them to not load properly. THe bottom left corner of IE says "Error on page" and shows the little yellow triangle with an exclamation point. If you double-click on it, a box pops up which says "Internet Explorer Script Error" An error has occured in the script on this page. However, the Line: Char: Error: Code: and URL: fields are all blank. If you try to move the box one stays where it originally was. Closing the box does nothing; as does hitting Yes or No to "Do you want to continue runnning scripts on this page?". You must use control-alt-delete to close IE then; you can not get back to browsing. This happens on a few pages, but not many. This also happened with another program (my internet phone) which also uses "scripts" to load pages or advertisements (the side bar in the software refreshes periodicallly with different ads). Also, pages do not redirect. One main example of a page which I can not access properly is Yahoo mail. First, a page pops up which says "If you can see this page, your browser settings are preventing you from automatically refreshing" Also, the windows update page does not load properly (completely blank). I went through my Internet -> Security settings and enabled the various settings (Meta-refresh, activex controls, etc..) so I don't think those are the problem. I have not noticed any problems in Firefox.

Second, here are the steps I have taken so far.
1) AVG anti-virus found the following trojan: BackDoor.Hupigon2.JDQ in 3 files. These files were healed and then the program associated with them was removed
2) Ad-Aware 2007 found nothing of significance (all tracking cookies and non-harming files)
3) Super Anti-Spyware found a total of 15 infected files. 9 of these were cookies. Of the 6 relevant files, these were some of the things found
Trojan.Security Toolbar
Trojan.WinAntiSpyware/WinAnti Virus 2006/2007
Trojan.WinSoftware/WinFixer

Anyone know which type of virus/trojan causes the problems I mentioned above or what to try next? Thanks.

Also, I can't do a system restore since it apparently uses a script. Whenever I start it, it is blank (both regular and safe mode) and there is no way to proceed. Will try system restore from command prompt as a last resort. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 31,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:04 AM

Error Message: Internet Explorer Script Error
How to troubleshoot script errors in Internet Explorer

Please follow the the instructions for using Vundofix in BC's self-help tutorial: "How To Remove Vundo/Winfixer Infection".

After running VundoFix, a text file named vundofix.txt will have automatically been saved to the root of the system drive, usually at C:\vundofix.txt. Please copy & paste the contents of that text file into your next reply.

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune & save it to your desktop. DO NOT use yet.
Please download and install SUPERAntiSpyware Free
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and unzip into the program's folder.)
  • Under the "Configuration and Preferences", click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the "General and Startup" tab, and under Start-up Options, make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.
  • Click the "Scanning Control" tab, and under Scanner Options, make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
  • Do not run a scan just yet.
Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
  • If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware as follows:
  • Launch the program and back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan and click "Next".
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#3 realbbbb

realbbbb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 02:35 PM

Ok, I have done the three steps listed above (run VundoFix.exe, run ATF Cleaner, and run SuperAntiSpyware in Safe MOde). Here are the results of the log files from Vundofix and SUperAntiSpyware)

VundoFix V6.7.7

Checking Java version...

Java version is 1.4.2.3
Old versions of java are exploitable and should be removed.

Java version is 1.5.0.6

Java version is 1.5.0.9

Java version is 1.5.0.10

Java version is 1.5.0.11

Scan started at 9:50:06 AM 1/4/2008

Listing files found while scanning....

C:\WINDOWS\system32\NCTAVIFile.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\NCTQuickTimeFile.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\NCTVideoCoreM.dll

Beginning removal...

Attempting to delete C:\WINDOWS\system32\NCTAVIFile.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\NCTAVIFile.dll Has been deleted!

Attempting to delete C:\WINDOWS\system32\NCTQuickTimeFile.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\NCTQuickTimeFile.dll Has been deleted!

Attempting to delete C:\WINDOWS\system32\NCTVideoCoreM.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\NCTVideoCoreM.dll Has been deleted!

Performing Repairs to the registry.
Done!

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 01/04/2008 at 02:19 PM

Application Version : 3.9.1008

Core Rules Database Version : 3259
Trace Rules Database Version: 1270

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 03:19:46

Memory items scanned : 190
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 8233
Registry threats detected : 0
File items scanned : 287431
File threats detected : 0

Any thoughts??

Also, just wanted to add that it appears my Flash has been uninstalled/deleted?? Pages which have flash content tell me that I need to go download the latest version of Flash but it is impossible to do it on the Adobe page---The button doesn't show up properly to install it.

Thanks

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 31,748 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 02:47 PM

Your Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malicious sites can use to infect your system. That's probably how you came to be infected in the first place. Please follow these steps to remove older version Java components and update:
  • Java Runtime Environment (JRE) Version 6 and save it to your desktop.
  • Scroll down to where it says "Java Runtime Environment (JRE)6 Update 3...allows end-users to run Java applications".
  • Click the "Download" button to the right.
  • Read the License Agreement and then check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement". The page will refresh.
  • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation and save the file to your desktop.
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel, double-click on Add/Remove Programs and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check (highlight) any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u3-windows-i586-p.exe to install the newest version.

Other than the flash issue, how is your computer running now? We need to make the malware is gone being getting sidetracked with other issues.

#5 realbbbb

realbbbb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 04:37 PM

Ok, I removed all old version of Java and installed 6 update 3. It is still giving me these script errors. I just want to point out a couple of things

1. I couldn't actually download the program to intsall from the link you gave me in Internet Explorer because the page wouldn't reload after I checked off "Accept the Terms"---I had to use Firefox---This is basically what the issue I'm having is. Whatever is related to a page reloading upon a selection is what is not functioning properly.

2. The actual message it gives on YouTube is "Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player. "

So it seems that it may not be a problem related to malware/spyware/trojans, etc..but instead to javascripting. The computer is running fine besides this one error these script errors which occur in Internet Explorer and also in the software for my VOIP phone. Any thoughts??

Thanks

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 31,748 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:38 PM

I don't think the malware we found was responsible for the issues your having. Did you read and try the suggestions in the first two links I posted relating to Script Errors and Troubleshooting? If not, that is the place to start now.

Also make sure you install the newest version of Adobe's Flash Player if you have not already done so.

Where To Enable Or Disable JavaScript
How do I enable JavaScript?

#7 realbbbb

realbbbb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 03:07 PM

Hi,

I have tried all the steps listed in the first 2 links
"Error Message: Internet Explorer Script Error"
"How to troubleshoot script errors in Internet Explorer"

and I also checked out both Javascript links. My javascript is enabled and i confirmed this by running the test on the first link and it verified that my javascript is enabled. See the screenshot below verifying that javascript is enabled.

Javascript is working on the test link provided

Also, I can't quite download Flash for Internet Explorer because the page where you are supposed to download it from has no link/button on it to get the file---which is basically the problem I am having. See the screenshot below

Adobe Flash download page

--Note: the google toolbar install and Download now button are missing

Just to show you some pictures of the problems I am having in Internet Explorer, see the screenshots below.

ESPN.com homepage missing the scoreboard at top

Youtube with the error "either javascript is turned off or you have an old verion of Flash

Yahoo mail--this is the first error it gives me before it redirects

Yahoo mail--this is the page it redirects to

Google Maps--bottom 3/4 of the page is completely missing and blank

The script error you get from clicking on the yellow error triangle in the lower left-hand corner of the browser

--Note: Every page above has the "Error on page" message with the yellow triangle and ! on it except for ESPN.com.
--Note: the window actually goes away if you click on the "X" in the top right corner about 50 times and a new window shows up (shown below)

This is the new error

Finally, I also got an error when trying to access one of the menu's in Flickr to post these screenshots

Flickr error

Any thoughts what to try next??

Thanks

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 31,748 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 04:42 PM

Alternate download for Adobe Flash Player.

Uninstall the Google Toolbar. You should be able to do that in Add/Remove.

How to Repair Internet Explorer 6
How do I repair Internet Explorer in Windows XP

#9 realbbbb

realbbbb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 05:32 PM

I don't have Google toolbar installed on the computer. What I meant was that in that download page for the Adobe Flash Player, they also offer the option to install Google toolbar (as with almost every other piece of software these days).

I tried uninstalling Internet Explorer 7 so that I am now rolled back to IE 6 (which came with the computer). Everything works perfectly now except for Yahoo mail (it now logs and gets to what looks like the main page for the new Beta Yahoo Mail and then gives some errors which I will post screen shots of later) and Windows update. That page (WU) is still completely blank. But the script errors are gone and I was able to download and install Adobe Flash Player in IE 6 without any problems. I am also able to properly access System Restore now (it used to just be completely blank)

I then tried reinstalling IE 7 (to see if it had become corrupt somehow) but the same errors returned. So it seems that there is some type of error with scripting or javascript or something along those lines. Any thoughts?

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 31,748 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 07:24 PM

Because of all the initial bug reports with IE7, I never installed it. Instead I use Firefox and IE6 only when necessary. I don't use Yahoo mail so you may want to check with their support techs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users