Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connecting The Wii To A Computer Monitor?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gmangokevin

gmangokevin

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 09:15 PM

I'm certainly not sure where this kind of question should go, but I thought I should try it here because it has to do with games... What an excuse.

Well, I will be getting a wii sometime soon whenever it is once again available; we all know that's not going to happen for a while. Is it possible to connect the wii to the computer monitor via VGA/DVI? I just thought it would be pretty convenient.

Also if it's not possible though VGA/DVI, I have this WinTV card I bought on sale and I'm actually still looking for an excuse to use it, lol.

http://www.hauppage.com/Pages/products/data_goplus.html

I looked at the back of the card where all the inputs/outputs are, and it says it has an S-Video. Is this something I can use to hook up a wii/gaming system to my computer and output it through to my monitor?

Thanks for any advice or heeeeeelp!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 11:30 AM

would you mean something like this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...TECH-_-17707114

That was just a quick little Google search, I'm sure there are others out there.

Edited by Wizdabest, 31 December 2007 - 11:31 AM.

#3 gmangokevin

gmangokevin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 09:31 PM

Well actually I took a look and I was looking for something that went directly into the Wii and the computer. I found something but I forgot where it was. Well there's really no hurry to find and buy it.

What I also want to know is does anyone know if I can hook up video games to my computer via the tv tuner card I posted before?

#4 Alcasan

Alcasan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 11:29 PM

Wii's out of the box as far as I know don't plug into a DVI/VGA monitor.
My friend brought over his Wii and we played on my Dell with a WinFast PVR 2000 just last week. As long as your tuner card has a compatible port for whatever cord your Wii has (ie S-video, or RCA which is what my friend's Wii had).
You will also need whatever program comes with the card, and find the option or button that changes the input mode to whatever you're using. (duh :-)
I did have an issue with sound. He only had again regular RCA jacks (2, it being stereo of course) and most computers don't have RCA input jacks; they use mini ports (like you see on modern headphones and earbuds) fortunately i already had RCA to RCA connectors and an RCA to mini card that i was able to plug straight into my speakers (they have an inbuilt "aux in" or "line in" port) thus bypassing my computer completely, but you will probably need to plug into the "line in" jack in the back of your computer. Of course if you have RCA sound jacks on your tuner card you won't need to worry about this. This is just what I had to do.
Sorry for any over-explaining, just being thorough :-)

#5 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:49 AM

What about a VGA connection?

#6 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 14 January 2008 - 03:49 PM

Wii's out of the box as far as I know don't plug into a DVI/VGA monitor.

Yeah I can echo that. As Wizdabeast pointed out there is a box that will allow you to connect your Wii/PS2 VHS recorder etc to a monitor, these are usually called VGA boxes. A couple of examples are below:

(i) uxga VGA Box
(ii) similar product on ebay

Basically one end you plug in your console/VHS recorder etc and the other end you connect your monitor.

Most of these devices are similar looking but available under different names/brands.

Edited by FireKracker, 14 January 2008 - 03:53 PM.

If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#7 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 02 February 2008 - 10:16 PM

Thanks, this is what I needed. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users