Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Harddrive In Baggage: Checked Or Carried?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Hal06

Hal06

• Members
  • 598 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 07:09 PM

If I want to travel with an external harddrive, is it okay to wrap it and put it in checked luggage? What about carry on luggage? With the former one there is a risk of theft. With the later, there is the cumbersomeness and the risk of the x-ray damaging it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped, new avatar (a camel) :0)

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 07:25 PM

You don't know how your checked baggage is handled (but seeing the state that I've received my luggage in, I've got my suspicions!) - but you do know how your carry on is handled. I'd go with the known rather than the unknown.

Also, having had issues with my luggage several times, I never leave anything in my checked baggage that I can't live without for several days. The last trip my bag disappeared for 36 hours (they'd left it in the departure airport). The airlines paid for replacement toiletries - but not for clean clothes the on the second day!

Edited by usasma, 20 December 2007 - 07:27 PM.

- John
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 08:20 PM

Well...if a hard drive is not likely to work after being dropped...I don't see that putting it in luggage that is going to be tossed about (intentionally, unintentionally) is going to be less severe than an accidental 3-foot fall.

If I did consider putting it in checked baggage, I'd have to put it in shockproof protection of some sort, as I would if I were going to RMA the drive.

Louis

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 22,961 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 21 December 2007 - 06:22 AM

I've taken my external hard drive as carry-on luggage before. The x-rays didn't seem to do it any harm as it still works perfectly.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped, new avatar (a camel) :0)

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:31 PM

Each drive is different - the more care that you exercise, the more likely it is that it will survive.
- John
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 09:38 PM

Newegg had a set of cases, 1 for 3.5 and 1 for 2.5 hard drives. They were blue transparent plastic storage cases. I seen them the other day while looking for something else and now I can't find it. They were relatively cheap
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 21 December 2007 - 09:40 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 598 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 09:06 AM

Thanks, everyone for your replies. We'll see how if fares in carry on luggage.

#8 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 22 December 2007 - 04:23 PM

I think I would backup your important data onto cd or a jump drive or something just as a precaution!
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users