Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uniblue's Registry Booster, Is It Safe ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 chuck626

chuck626

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 02:26 AM

Is Uniblue's Registry Booster cool to install and run ??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 04:35 AM

Well, at BC we dont recomend Registry Cleaners or boosters because they can seriuously mess up computers, so I recomend you dont use it.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 09:27 AM

I second that opinion. Applications that involve registry changes are very powerful, and, unless you are very careful and somewhat knowledgeable about operating systems, you can certainly do more harm than what little benefit you derive from mucking about in the registry.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 33,338 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:45 AM

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results". Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly can have disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use by those not familiar with the registry, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#5 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 04:34 PM

Here's a link that usasma posted in another thread about registry cleaners. Makes for a good read on the subject.
http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=61015
X

#6 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 04:38 PM

Chuck, it may sound like we are really telling you off for this, but we are not. We are just tellign you what can happen if you use a registry cleaner. Infact, you did the right thing by asking if it is safe. :thumbsup:

#7 Dana Walker

Dana Walker

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 01 January 2008 - 09:24 PM

I am strictly an amateur computer user, and I used the Uniblue registry cleaner and system optimizer before I read all of these warnings. I suffered no ill effects, and while I did not notice any discernable increase in speed, I did notice that I have about average 100 MB more ram than I had before, and that my recycle bin now has over 1.3 GB worth of files that I evidently did not need as all of my apps seem to be working fine without them. (Lots of them are cab files.) After reading all of these posts, I will be much more careful using it in the future, but I would appreciate feedback on my experience, as getting rid of 1.3 GB of evidently useless files seems like a good thing, and extra ram also seems like a good thing. The program also came highly recommended by PC World, though I'm not sure if Uniblue ia a valued advertiser in PC World and/or if PC World would spin their advice based upon this fact.

#8 trashcan7

trashcan7

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 03:23 PM

Oops, I didn't know that these kind of stuff wasn't that good and overrated. Anyway, about registry booster, you have to buy the software to correct the errors, even though it scans for free.

#9 Chris_com28

Chris_com28

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 01:58 PM

I downloaded it today because of an Office error. It allowed me to fix 15 errors, but later I was unable to watch DVDs on Media Player. It was like the graphics drivers weren't working. So I rebooted to an earlier system and the DVD works now. I wont bew using Uniblue software again. Their stuff doesnt even seem to help your PC at all.

#10 B-Art

B-Art

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 08 January 2010 - 07:24 AM

I would recommend NOT using anything from UNIBLUE. They do not use the proper Microsoft Certified Partner LOGO!

Search for it on Google Images and you know what I mean. :thumbsup:

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 33,338 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 08:52 AM

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

• Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

• Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

• Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

• The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#12 Chris_com28

Chris_com28

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 08:43 AM

I would recommend NOT using anything from UNIBLUE. They do not use the proper Microsoft Certified Partner LOGO!

Search for it on Google Images and you know what I mean. :thumbsup:

I didn't know that. :flowers: So does that mean they're not Microsoft Gold Partners? I naively thought that they had the logo so they could be trusted.

So what does BC make of Trial Reset? I've read a bit about it and no one can agree whever it's a trojan or not. Plus it edits the registry, but only in a very specific way. Is using this still dangerous?

#13 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:30 AM

So what does BC make of Trial Reset? I've read a bit about it and no one can agree whever it's a trojan or not.

The main function of Trial-Reset is remove the keys generated by commercial and freeware. Trial-Reset does not crack the program but only extend the Trial Period.

Trial-Reset is very easy to use. On the right hand side, you are able to select which type of protector you want it to scan. If found any, you are able to backup before unchecking the value. You have to do a trial-and-error because this software is not smart enough to determine which key is for which shareware. So make sure you always backup before making any changes!

BC Forum rules state:

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

Topic closed

Edited by garmanma, 12 January 2010 - 11:32 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users