Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Change Information On An Mp3 File?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 michiganer

michiganer

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 18 December 2007 - 01:03 AM

I was wondering how I can add information to an MP3 file. I want to change the title and artist and also add the album name to some of my MP3 songs but I can't figure it out. When I put my cursor over a current title, a yellow box pops up with all of the info about the file. Some of my songs have the album and artist in the yellow box and I want to get all of them to have it. When I send MP3 files to my MP3 player, I want to have the titles and albums appear as I want. Hopefully someone understands what I need and can help me. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R. I. T.S. (and proud of it)

• Global Moderator
  • 9,441 posts
  •  
  • Location:Tuscaloosa, Alabama. No, I am not an Alabama fan. WAR EAGLE!!!

Posted 18 December 2007 - 01:23 AM

Navigate to the folder where the songs are stored.

Click on the song you want to edit to highlight it.
RIGHT click.
Properties.
The properties box will open. Summary tab, Advanced.
Make your changes. Pick the field you wish to change. It should be highlighted in blue. Simply start typing what you want to put in the field. If there is anything already listed you don't want, delete it.
Click apply to save the changes.

(this is for XP. could the same or similar with Vista)

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 18 December 2007 - 02:29 AM

You could also use an ID3 Tag editor.
eags on! is fairly easy to use.

If you use some type of music manager program, it will probably come with a tag editor, included.
I use Media Monkey.
Besides the manual tag editor, it has Automatic Lookup and Tagging of album art, and other track information, from Amazon.

Edited by tg1911, 18 December 2007 - 02:30 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,443 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 12:02 PM

Well, you really need to change the title and the tag...otherwise, programs for playing will display conflicting info (since they use the tags for identifying the song).

Louis

#5 michiganer

michiganer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2007 - 09:06 PM

Thanks! I didn't know about the tag. I am going to try the eags on tag editor. Thanks again!

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 07:42 AM

You're welcome, michiganer.
If you need any additional help, just ask.

Suggestion:
Make a copy of one of the files you want to change.
Play with eags on!, using that copy.
Once you have the program figured out, then use it on your originals.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#7 michiganer

michiganer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:28 PM

Yeah, I'm not really that good at technical stuff like this so I have been playing with it. I think I have figured out how to add an album title and artist. I wish I could figure out how to get it to find the album title for me. Every time I use their search it gives me really weird results. I'm going to keep playing with it though. I will definitely ask again if I need more help!

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,443 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 10:45 AM

To have a program find author/title information (as opposed to user inputting such info), you have allow that program access via the Internet (in order for it to acquire such info).

Example: I use MusicMatch to play, edit tags, filenames, etc.

When I configure MM, there is an option to allow it to search for such info. On MM, it's an option enable the CD Lookup Service, found in the Settings area. I would guess that most programs that play/edit music have a similar option somewhere in the Settings.

I never enable this, since I prefer to input the info I want to display, which is only the song and the artist. But it's useful for persons who want all the info automatically and quickly.

Louis

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 10:54 AM

Yeah, I never had much luck with it's automatic look-up feature.
That's one of the reasons I went to Media Monkey.
I've had much better luck, with it.
It searches Amazon US, UK, Canada, Germany, Japan, and France, looking for artist, album title, song, release date, and album art.
Using a combination of that, and MusicBrainz, I've been able to tag 99% of my music.

#10 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 09:24 PM

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/
My Webpage ~ Surfing The Internet Is Like Raiding A Tomb

Cędite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users