Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Olympus Camera Not Recognized By Windows

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 marklafan

marklafan

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 07:02 PM

I have an olympus FE 190 digital camera. I have always just hooked it up to my USB port and gotten the window asking if i wanted to download pictures. Now when connected to computer, i get no prompt and have no way of downloading my pictures! I am running a laptop using windows XP and its not recognizing the camera.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 09:59 PM

I'm not familiar with Olympus so you're going to have to double-check your manual. On my daughter's Fuji, someone somehow fiddled with the menu buttons. When she plugged it in the camera thought is was plugged into a printer dock and wouldn't open the download window.
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 17 December 2007 - 12:05 PM

You can use an alternative method. Start/Control Panel/Printers and Other Hardware/Scanners and Cameras. Click on Add An Imaging Device in the left column.

Although auto detection is supposed to take place, it doesn't always.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/d...t/transfer.mspx

Louis

#4 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 18 December 2007 - 01:38 AM

Try plugging the camera into a different port and see if that works, I have noticed with some of my USB devices, when they get old the PC doesn't recognise them (on every computer) but if I plug it in again or plug it into a different USB port it seems to work fine. Also, maybe the USB cable or port you used has dust or soemthign is bent on the terminals etc. Try checking them. Also just oen last thing, how old is your camera and what model is it (I also have an Olympus camera and might be able to help you a bit more. :huh:

Try plugging the camera into a different port and see if that works, I have noticed with some of my USB devices, when they get old the PC doesn't recognise them (on every computer) but if I plug it in again or plug it into a different USB port it seems to work fine. Also, maybe the USB cable or port you used has dust or soemthign is bent on the terminals etc. Try checking them. Also just oen last thing, how old is your camera and what model is it (I also have an Olympus camera and might be able to help you a bit more. :thumbsup:

#5 marklafan

marklafan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 19 December 2007 - 11:23 AM

The camera is an olympus FE-190. it is just so weird because it has always had the prompt, now there is nothing. when i go to "scanners and cameras" i have to select what model my camera is, but my model is not listed. when i plug the usb cable into my computer the camera recognizes that it is plugged in and asks me if i want to connect to a PC or printer (of course i select PC). so far none of the suggestions have worked :thumbsup:

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 19 December 2007 - 03:43 PM

I think this is what you need to find/download/install: http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/...asp?pressNo=338

I believe installing same would enable auto recognition of your camera.

You can try this, if you like: http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/...twareMaster.asp

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users