Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb (code 39)

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Joe XP

Joe XP

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 14 December 2007 - 08:29 PM

Last week I uninstalled a program and it seems to have deleted a few important files related to the USB ports.
Device manager looks like this:
Posted Image

A further look shows this:
Posted Image
"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

A few more pictures:

This is the USB 2.0, I believe
Posted Image
Posted Image

Normal USB
Posted Image
Posted Image

What I've tried so far:
  • Uninstalling them and then scanning for hardware changes - "Found new hardware" "A problem occurred during hardware installation. Your new hardware might not work properly."
  • Updating the drivers - "The wizard could not find a better match for your hardware than the software you currently have installed", when choosing the online search option
  • Rolling back the drivers - "No driver files have been backed up for this device."
  • System restore - Always fails no matter what date.
Now let's talk about the BIOS.
The USB keyboard does work in the BIOS. So I can go around and change whatever options there that I want to.
I made sure that both USB 1.0 and 2.0 were enabled.
It's when the Windows XP screen comes on that the USB keyboard stops responding. I found this out by hitting the caps lock, num lock, scroll lock, when booting, and seeing when the lights on the keyboard stopped turning on and off.
So it's definitely an operating system issue.
But just to make sure, I installed my USB card that I had lying around, into a PCI slot. None of those ports worked either.

So right now I've got a USB to PS/2 adapter for the mouse, and just today I purchased a PS/2 keyboard.
I really want my USB ports back, and without having to clean install if possible. That's why I'm here.

Some other notes:
Everything else works fine. Firewire, DVD-Drive, PCI slots, Ethernet, PS/2, etc
Windows XP Pro with SP2 (OEM)

Thank you in advance.

Edited by Joe XP, 14 December 2007 - 08:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 14 December 2007 - 08:51 PM

You gave alot of info there except what program you uninstalled.
Found this on the MSKB about the code 39 error.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
X

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped, new avatar (a camel) :0)

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 15 December 2007 - 07:14 AM

Your USB drivers seem to be from 2001 and 2002 - well prior to the SP2 release. I'd suspect that that is your issue.

To fix it, I'd suggest visiting the site of the manufacturer of your system (or your motherboard if this is a custom build) and downloading the latest version of the motherboard/chipset drivers from there. Install them to see if it fixes the USB issue.
- John
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **

#4 Joe XP

Joe XP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2007 - 02:16 PM

I went to MSI to see if I could find some drivers. I didn't see any USB drivers but they did have an update for the motherboard. It wanted to flash it or something like that. Anyhow, it did its thing. After rebooting nothing happened. No beep, no display, nothing. It just sits there.
Now instead of a USB problem, I seem to have a dead motherboard.
I knew something like this would happen. I should've just dealt with it until I built my new system, but now I don't have a choice but to order the new parts now.

My question is, would I be able to hook up the C drive to the new rig and startup from that drive? If not, do I need to purchase another XP Pro disc and install it on a different drive? I do want to keep the data that is on the C drive, but if I can't boot off of it, can I at least hook it up as a secondary drive?
Some other info that may be relevant:
I was using AMD but am now switching over to Intel.
I thought about just purchasing a new motherboard, but it's a socket 754 so it's pretty much extinct and outdated.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 40,845 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2007 - 03:14 PM

Well...if you tell us exactly what you downloaded and attempted to install, maybe we can help you undo it.

If what you downloaded was not updated motherboard drivers, then it probably was an updated BIOS release.

Generally, the BIOS should only be updated when there is a real need to do so and doing so adds some needed/desired capability not present before.

Louis

#6 Joe XP

Joe XP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2007 - 03:59 PM

I used an MSI autoupdate program and I don't know what version or model it installed. It displayed 1 new update for the BIOS and I went with it.
Theoretically though, is it still possible to bring it back to life?

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2007 - 04:08 PM

If your BIOS chip is removable, you can send it to biosman.com and they will reflash it for 20 bucks. If it's sits in a socket, it's removable if it's soldered to the board it's impossible to remove without the proper tools. Also pay attention to the orientation of the chip in the socket and pay special care not to bend the pins
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 Joe XP

Joe XP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 02:09 PM

Thanks Mark.
My other question from above:

My question is, would I be able to hook up the C drive to the new rig and startup from that drive? If not, do I need to purchase another XP Pro disc and install it on a different drive? I do want to keep the data that is on the C drive, but if I can't boot off of it, can I at least hook it up as a secondary drive?

If someone could answer that for me, I'll be on my way. Thanks guys.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 04:05 PM

Thanks Mark.
My other question from above:

If someone could answer that for me, I'll be on my way. Thanks guys.

That would be nearly impossible without a ton of problems
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 40,845 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 04:18 PM

If you attach that hard drive to another system (as something other than the boot/system drive), you may be able to read it. It's hard to say...assuming that the drive is not damaged/defective, you will be able to access the files on that drive, just like any other hard drive which is not the boot/system drive.

You would probably have problems accessing any file data which falls under Docs/Settings without taking ownership of such files. This is easily done, just another step in accessing those files.

Routine data files which don't fall under Docs/Settings should be viewable/accessible.

No program files will be accessible/transferable (unless in an uninstalled format).

If you already have a valid XP Pro CD, you really only need buy an XP Pro license if you want to do another install on a different drive/system. Such licenses used to be readily available, sans CDs.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/default.mspx

http://www.tek-tips.com/faqs.cfm?fid=4004

Louis

#11 harry0001

harry0001

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 03:12 AM

OK after wasting an entire day on this stupid stuff, I've finally found a solution and i registered just for this posting(So you don't have to go through the same)

run regedit.

goto:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056- 444553540000

Delete:UpperFilter,LowerFilter

disable and enable your devices from device manager.

#12 dan_m

dan_m

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:47 PM

harry0001 -
You are my hero. I have spent hours on this problem. I have tried Symantec (who originally caused the problem when they "helped" me to remove a virus), Gateway, and Intel.
I also created an account just so I could say thanks -
Dan

#13 David Callaghan II

David Callaghan II

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 05 January 2010 - 05:05 PM

Harry0001

Like Dan, I've just registered an account here just to thank you for your time. How do you know all this stuff. Note I only had one of those option you mentioned, not both.

THanks again

David

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 40,845 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 05:27 PM

Just a comment...I have no upper/lower filter entries at that registry location, none at all reflected in the main key or sub-key.

In other words, I don't know why this would work for any USB device, especially since the upper/lower filters edit is common for optical drives.

I won't lose any sleep over it, but it seems unorthodox for USB problems.

I would not try it for every USB problem, deleting the USB controllers typically works and is easily done.

Louis

#15 JohnAbbott

JohnAbbott

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2010 - 12:28 PM

OK after wasting an entire day on this stupid stuff, I've finally found a solution and i registered just for this posting(So you don't have to go through the same)

run regedit.

goto:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056- 444553540000

Delete:UpperFilter,LowerFilter

disable and enable your devices from device manager.

This is excellent! I was looking for this for two days. Thank you so much!

I had UpperFilter only. Deleted it. Disabled the devices then reenabled. Everything was found and working great!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users