Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ccleaner Software Download

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 largemouth

largemouth

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 12 December 2007 - 12:54 PM

downloaded ccleaner software from hippo. When i ran it it showed numerous programs and folders to erase. problem is the programs seem to be all the programs on my computer. Is this a valid program, or sould I unistall at once. Ididn't hit the fix problem button, just closed the scan.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:02 PM

Hello largemouth,

I avoid using any registry cleaners like the plague, since their potential for harming your operating system far outweighs any small potential for improving your computer's performance. Despite their claims, you can take other steps that are safer and more productive to keep your computer running well.

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications. There are a number of them available and some are more safe than others. Keep in mind that no two registry cleaners work entirely the way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad" entry.
One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause a problem when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly can have disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:04 PM

It's definitely a valid program, but you did the right thing to close the scan since you weren't sure about it.

I've never had it want to "erase" all my programs. Had you clicked on the Tools button and gotten the Uninstall/Startup list? That's simply a convenience for uninstalling programs or cleaning the registry of invalid keys, and it doesn't have a "fix problem" button. If you're not talking about that, then can you be more specific in your explanation or, better yet, post a screenshot?

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,374 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 12 December 2007 - 06:47 PM

I use CCleaner only to automatically delete cookies and clean out junk files. I have not used the registry cleaner and I don't intend to ever use it.

#5 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2007 - 07:50 PM

Yep, I'm with TMacK and frankp316. I didn't mean to imply that you should use any aspect of CCleaner to clean your registry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users