Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lsass.exe Error - Will Not Boot

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nick_kjaer

nick_kjaer

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 10 December 2007 - 01:49 PM

hey guys, all of a sudden I am getting this error. not sure how I trouble shoot as my laptop does not even start up at all. the initial windows screen loads, then all of a sudden the screen goes black and I receive this error. if i click on either the little x in the top right hand corner of the box or the ok button, it restarts, if i click nothing it just sits there and does nothing indefinitely. should i perhaps boot in safe mode in order to get to the desktop and then try troubleshooting from there. thank you for any assistance you may be able to give whatsoever. nick.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 31,759 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 10 December 2007 - 03:00 PM

It would be helpful if you could provide the complete error message that you are getting.

And yes, let us know if you can reboot in "Safe Mode".
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#3 nick_kjaer

nick_kjaer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 03:01 AM

Hey guys, I will send through further information as soon as I can, but just thought would let you know of following up-date:

When I attempted to boot last night in 'safe mode', 'last good configured' and with having disabelled the 'restart on system crash', my laptop still would not start. Everytime this error box would pop up and say "lsass.exe - object not found", and would do nothing further until I hit either the ok box or the x box in top right hand corner, then even having attempted to log with automatic restart being disabelled it would still restart my computer. So the issue is I really can't get to my desktop screen.

I shall send through further information asap. Appreciate the help guys, this seems like a pain of a bug.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 31,759 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 10:41 AM

If, you cannot boot up in Normal or Safe mode, see:
"What to Do When XP or 2000 Won't Boot".
"How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting".
"Langa Letter: XP's No-Reformat, Nondestructive Total-Rebuild Option".

If you don't have your XP CD you can download a Recovery Console ISO file and burn it as an image to a disk to get a bootable CD which will startup the Recovery Console for troubleshooting and fixing purposes. This is especially useful for those with OEM systems with factory restore partitions or disks but no original installation CD. Also read Creating A Windows XP Recovery Console CD Image.

Another option is a Windows XP bootable Floppy Disk:
"Resolving Boot Issues with a Boot Floppy Disk".
"BC's Tutorial: Using a Windows XP bootable Floppy Disk".
"How to obtain Windows XP Setup boot disks". The Setup boot disks are available so that you can run the Setup program on computers that cannot use a bootable CD-ROM.

Note: If your using an IBM, HP, Compaq or Dell machine, you may not have an original XP CD Desk.

By policy Microsoft no longer allows OEM manufactures to include the original Windows XP CD-ROM on computers sold with Windows preinstalled. Instead, most computers manufactured and sold by OEM vendors come with a vendor-specific recovery disk or recovery partition for performing a clean factory restore.

A Recovery Disk is a CD-ROM or DVD data disc that contains a complete copy/image of the entire contents of the hard drive that will restore the system to its factory default state at a certain time. Essentially, it will reformat your hard drive, remove all data and restore the computer to the state it was in when you first purchased it. You will lose all data and have to reinstall all programs that you added afterwards. This includes all security updates from Microsoft so you will need to download/install them again.

Some factory restore CDs give you all the options of a full Microsoft Windows CD, but with better instructions and the convenience of having all the right hardware drivers. Others can do nothing except reformat your hard drive and restore it to the condition it was in when you bought the computer. Before using a factory recovery disk make sure you back up all your data to another source such as a CD or external hard drive. If you do a Google Search, you will find links to topics on how to obtain a replacement recovery disk from various vendors.

A Recovery Partition is used by some OEM manufacturers (Dell, HP, IBM, Gateway) instead of a recovery disk to store a complete copy of the hard disk's factory default contents for easy restoration. This consists of a hidden bootable partition containing various system recovery tools, including full recovery of the preinstalled Windows XP partition that will allow you to restore the computer to the state it was in when you first purchased it. The recovery software will then re-hide its own partition after creating a new partition and installing the software to it. Before using a recovery partition make sure you back up all your data to another source such as a CD or external hard drive.

Recovery partitions may only work with a start-up floppy disk or the user may be prompted immediately after the "Out Of Box Experience" (OOBE) to create backup CD-R disks for the software on the hard drive image for future use. Once the CD's are made, the Operating System, Drivers, or Applications can be reinstalled using the files on the hard drive or the backup CDs.

Some built in recovery partitions can be accessed by hitting Ctrl+F11, just F11 or F10 during bios startup. Others like those used by IBM Thinkpads will display a message at bootup instructing you to press F11 to boot from the recovery partition. For more information, see Understanding Partition recovery.

Again, if you do a Google search on recovery partitions, you can find information specifically related to the manufacturer of your machine. If you need additional assistance, you can start a new topic in the Windows XP Home and Professional forum. Each manufacturer's instructions is somewhat different and members with the same type machine as yours could better help with step by step instructions.

#5 nick_kjaer

nick_kjaer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2007 - 02:58 AM

Ok brilliant, thank you for the information - this is awesome help.

So basically if I can locate the original Windows XP CD then I won't lose all my data, however if I can't I prob will have to restore my computer to factory settings using the methods suggested - which is obviously less desireable. lol.

Ok I shall work on this on Friday and keep you guys informed of my progress. Thanks once again Quietman.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 31,759 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2007 - 09:00 AM

Your welcome and good luck.

#7 nick_kjaer

nick_kjaer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2007 - 09:09 AM

Ok so quick up-date.

"Langa Letter: XP's No-Reformat, Nondestructive Total-Rebuild Option" - This did not work. I got to step 9, when it re-boots asking you to do it without the disk inserted, as soon as I removed the disk and it booted from the harddrive I guess it got half way through the 'Windows XP scrolling bar' loading screen and then it seems to pause a second, then the screen goes blank for a bit, then it goes black as though it's not even turned on (except for a little back lighting) then the error box pops-up again saying exactly same message "lsass.exe - System Error" in the blue header part of the box and then in the main grey bit next to the big red x it says "Object not found."

Guess that error/virus is embedded somehow and as soon as you boot without the recovery disk in it comes out and prevents XP from starting.

#8 nick_kjaer

nick_kjaer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2007 - 09:17 AM

Been reading about and see someone had similar issue and they had to do HiJack and ComboFix scans so you guys could trouble shoot, in fact after doing the ComboFix scan the gentlemans computer seemed to actually be working, problem is how can I go about downloading the etc when I can actually get my computer past the Windows XP loading screen. Also oddly enough using the last known good configuration, disable restart on system failure, start in safe mode etc, none of these worked and persistently the lsass error would return at exactly the same point preventing my computer from proceeding. Thanks for the guidance everyone, Nick.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 31,759 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2007 - 11:20 AM

Without being able to boot up you can't use any tools to detect/eliminate the malware. Your choices when this happens is limited to doing a repair install, using a boot disk or reformatting/reinstalling the OS with the original XP CD or using the recovery disk/partition if available on your system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users