Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Remove Internet Security Suite File

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 michele2007

michele2007

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:54 PM

I cannot delete this from my computer although I removed the internet security suite program from Iolo a while ago:
c:\Program Files\iolo\common\iFW_Xfilter.dll

I just used Autoruns for the first time and it lists these five files of iolo that automatically start:

MSAFD Tcpip [RAW/IP] Winsock Hook Module iolo technologies, LLC c:\program files\iolo\common\firewall\ifw_xfilter.dll
MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IP] Winsock Hook Module iolo technologies, LLC c:\program files\iolo\common\firewall\ifw_xfilter.dll
MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IP] Winsock Hook Module iolo technologies, LLC c:\program files\iolo\common\firewall\ifw_xfilter.dll
RSVP TCP Service Provider Winsock Hook Module iolo technologies, LLC c:\program files\iolo\common\firewall\ifw_xfilter.dll
RSVP UDP Service Provider Winsock Hook Module iolo technologies, LLC c:\program files\iolo\common\firewall\ifw_xfilter.dll

It won't let me uncheck them so they won't start automatically but it will let me delete them. Would this be safe since it is in a folder called Common?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HIPPO1023

HIPPO1023

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:23 AM

Don't remove Layer Service Provider(LSP) .
If one of these LSPs is removed incorrectly, that chain could become broken, possibly removing your ability to connect to the Internet or a network.

You can use LSP-Fix to remove LSPs under advanced computer user.

LSP-Fix attempts to correct Internet connection problems resulting from buggy or improperly-removed Layered Service Provider (LSP) software. When you start LSP-Fix, it will read the list of LSP modules from the Windows registry and verify that each module is present. If a module is missing, it is placed on the "Remove" list for removal. Advanced users can override suggested removals in the "Advanced" area. When "Finish" is pressed, the undesired entries are removed, and the remaining entries in the registry are renumbered to make them consecutive. The total module counts are then updated. Finally, the program will display a summary of the changes that were made.

Usage Instructions:

This program should only be used under the supervision of an advanced computer user.
For a tutorial on how to use this tool see the link below:

Using LSP-Fix to remove Spyware & Hijackers

I recommend visiting BleepingComputer's HijackThis forum.

Edited by HIPPO1023, 10 December 2007 - 04:25 AM.

#3 michele2007

michele2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2007 - 03:10 PM

Thank you Hippo, I'm not going to mess with removing old CA Internet Security Suite files because I am not in any way advanced in the computer realm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users