Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installed New Hd And Can't Access Files On Old Hd

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 McGhee

McGhee

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 12:42 PM

After installing a new hard drive and putting the O/S on it I put the old master hard drive in my external enclosure so I could get all my old files. I had backed up my entire master drive onto a slave drive but as it turns out the backup drive went bad (which is why I decided to replace the hard drives) and I was only able to obtain some of the files that were accessible. Now the problem is that when I try to go to my old master drive and try to get to MY DOCUMENTS or MY PICTURES I get an error message that says that it is not accessible and ACCESS IS DENIED!

How do I get to these files? These files were under the only account (mine) on my computer, which was set up as an administrator so I am guessing that is why I can't access them without doing something that I don't know how to do yet.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 01:03 PM

McGhee,

Try taking ownership of the files on the old hard drive:

"How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP":

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421/en-us

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 01:25 PM

I am afraid you might have shot yourself in the foot when xp asked you if you wanted to make your my docs private, they are now encrypted(if the drive was ntfs) and you would need to logon to that drive and move them out of the my docs folder so you can access them from another drive or logon.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 McGhee

McGhee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 10:12 PM

McGhee,

Try taking ownership of the files on the old hard drive:

"How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP":

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421/en-us

This is exactly what I did and it worked! :thumbsup: I retrieved all of MY DOCUMENTS and all MY PICTURES, which was the most important thing. I had them backed up on my other backup drive but since that disk had become corrupted some of my pictures were irretrievable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users