Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do U Increase The Size Of A Pictures

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ripcurlby2109

ripcurlby2109

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:15 PM

how do you increase the size of a picture without the resulting of distortiong?

Mod Edit: Topic moved to more appropriate forum~ TMacK

Edited by TMacK, 27 November 2007 - 11:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:35 PM

You have just so much information stored in those smaller images.
When you try to enlarge an image, you're basically pulling the pixels apart, and the program has to "guess" what is to occupy the additional space between the pixels.
Most programs aren't very good at "guessing".
I imagine, there are some high-end (expensive) image editing programs that are better at "guessing", than other programs, but I can't say for sure.
Even then, I'd imagine the results would be mediocre, at best.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 5,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 28 November 2007 - 04:36 AM

There's a Photoshop resizing tutorial here:

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewConten...7&sliceId=1

The information generally applies to similar graphics programs.

As tg has said, the information to preserve the quality of the image at a larger size simply does not exist. Using the option to resample gives the most reasonable results that can be achieved. A program may offer more than one algorithm (calculation method) to try - results can vary depending on the characteristics of the image.

jpg images have inherent compression artifacts and suffer quality loss when being saved. Best results will come with using a lossless format like bmp or tif during processing. If you must start from a jpg, convert it immediately to one of the lossless formats, process it to your satisfaction, then if you want to finish with jpg, only save in this format when completely finished. Use the least amount of jpg compression that will still give you reasonable reduction in filesize.
Pleased to have been a Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2007/8, 2008/9

Great minds like a think.

#4 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2007 - 05:31 AM

how do you increase the size of a picture without the resulting of distortiong?

If you mean keeping the width & height the same that is called "Aspect Ratio".
My Webpage ~ Surfing The Internet Is Like Raiding A Tomb

Cędite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

#5 Noot

Noot

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:17 AM

I imagine, there are some high-end (expensive) image editing programs that are better at "guessing", than other programs, but I can't say for sure.
Even then, I'd imagine the results would be mediocre, at best.

You'd be right.

If you're talking about something on the internet you're trying to resize, trying to resize it much more than what it already is, regardless of program, won't give you much results. Internet images run on a resolution of 72 dpi(dots per inch). Now if you were to scan in an image or if you took a picture with a digital camera, the average resolution would be about 230-300 or so? Which would give you much more room to resize, but those images have to start at that resolution. You can't take an internet image and try to give it a resolution of 230 because it'll just blow up the picture and become extremely distorted.

Along with whatever else has said, I hope this helps as well. :thumbsup:

Good luck!
Posted Image

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving
that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority."
E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

#6 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 22 December 2007 - 10:04 AM

I have skimmed over this thread, and am not sure that the perso who started it may be talking about the same problem as I would like to have solved,

I have uploaded a picture to an internet web site and it was not the size that I wanted it to be. the image format that I uploadedf was a JPEG and the original was much larger than wht is displayed at this web site.

I have accessed the edit photo and found this message there.

To change the size of a picture you must have JavaScript enabled in your Internet Browser Options.
Minimal size of a photo is 100 x 100. Current size of your photo is 134 x 100.

I have gone to the customized IE options, allow scriplets, and enabeled this, I am not sure is that is the same as enabeling Java scripting ?

If that is correct I would like to proceed to the next step, as I have gone to the web site and tapped into editing and
can't seem to make a difference.

I would very much appreciate your expertise on solving this.

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:36 PM

Please start your own topic, with your question, Jove.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users