Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron 6400 With Black Screen

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 irnman

irnman

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 14 November 2007 - 02:00 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop with WinXPSP2 2gb DDR2Ram, 14 months old. Computer worked fine in AM but after packing it and a trip of 350 miles by car, it gave me a black screen with no letters, logos or Dell signon nothing.

This problem was diagnosed by Dell via telephone as a memory problem and they advised replacing Ram. This was done and I was able to logon, access the internet but after a second logon, I got the same black screen.

A technician/friend said it sounded like a short. I loosened every screw I could see on the bottom of the computer and was able to logon once again and save all data. It now works sporadically, i.e., the screen will still go black but unexpectedly and often after an hour or two of use. An external monitor works fine, even when the laptop screen goes black.

Is there anything else I can do other than take it to a repair shop?

Thank you for any help you can provide

irnman

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 14 November 2007 - 02:10 PM

the screen is gone, if you can handle using it with a monitor I'd keep it, otherwise it's going to cost more to fix than it's current market value.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2007 - 07:40 PM

14 months, still under warranty? FWIW Dell's support site offers excellent tutorials how to dismantle it. Might just be the wires to the screen got pinched. Who knows
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 14 November 2007 - 07:48 PM

"Dell-branded hardware products purchased in the U.S. or Canada come with either a 90-day, 1-year, 2-year, 3-year or 4-year limited warranty, depending on the product purchased." most of the time it's 1 year, maybe 2. without the service tag, hard to say how long the warranty is.

Edited by Robert Isbell, 14 November 2007 - 07:48 PM.

#5 irnman

irnman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2007 - 12:27 PM

Thank you for your responses, esp Garmanma. Couldn't agree more with your quote being a grand-dad myself :-) I have visited some of the sites on dismantling but couldn't find an up-to-date Dell tutorial. I've decided to take it to a shop and have them try to reseat screen cable. The monitor is fine, just the unpredictable black screen that I can sometimes get back by moving the screen a bit. Thanks again,
irnman

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2007 - 02:44 PM

I have visited some of the sites on dismantling but couldn't find an up-to-date Dell tutorial.

http://support.dell.com/support
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#7 irnman

irnman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2007 - 08:22 PM

Thank you Mark: I visited the site and the problem is solved. All I did was reseat the display cable connector and it seems to be working fine now. Your help is sincerely appreciated as is bleepingcomputer.com

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:24 AM

Glad you got it working and save some money by doing it yourself
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users