Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Remove Java Virus?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 09 November 2007 - 02:27 PM

I scanned my computer with the CA Antivirus online scanner. It found four viruses in "Java" files, but when I clicked on Cure files, nothing happened. The browser just said "Error on this page". Nothing happened when I clicked Deleted files either. I tried scanning my computer again, but now it won't even let me scan. How will I remove these viruses from my computer?

(Moderator edit: added Topic Description. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 10 November 2007 - 11:47 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 5,558 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 09 November 2007 - 02:38 PM

If you have Ccleaner, run it and it will remove the Java cache files. Or you can delete them manually by clicking on the "Java Coffee Cup" , click on General tab, click on Settings, click on delete files.
Remove temporary files, logs, cookies, etc. by using Ccleaner. Do not use "Advanced Settings" or the "Issues" button. Use only the default settings. http://www.ccleaner.com/

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”
Lawrence M. Krauss

#3 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2007 - 03:01 PM

Thanks. I'll try that. CA online scanner is now saying no viruses were found. *meh*

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 30,812 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2007 - 04:05 PM

Java.ByteVerify is actually a method to exploit a security vulnerability in the Microsoft Virtual Machine that is stored in the java cache as a java-applet. The vulnerability arises as the ByteCode verifier in the Microsoft VM does not correctly check for the presence of certain malformed code when a java-applet is loaded. Attackers can exploit the vulnerability by creating malicious Java applets and inserting them into web pages that could be hosted on a web site or sent to users as an attachment. Trojan Exploit ByteVerify indicates that a Java applet - a malicious Java archive file (JAR) - was found on your system containing the exploit code.

When a browser runs an applet, the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) stores all the downloaded files into its cache directory for better performance. Microsoft stores the applets in the Temporary Internet Files. The Java.ByteVerify will typically arrive as a component of other malicious content. An attacker could use the compiled Java class file to execute other code...Notification of infection does not always indicate that a machine has been infected; it only indicates that a program included the viral class file. This does not mean that it used the malicious functionality.

These malicious applets are designed to exploit vulnerabilities in the Microsoft VM (Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-011). If you are using the Sun JVM as your default virtual machine, these malicious applets cannot cause any harm to your computer. See: here.

AVG, eTrust EZ Antivirus, Pest Patrol and others will find Java/ByteVerify but cannot get rid of them. If you have the Java-Plugin installed, then deleting them from the Java cache should eliminate the problem. The Java Plug-In in the Control Panel is only present if you are using Sun's Java. If you don't have the Java-Plugin installed then just delete the files manually. The Microsoft Virtual machine stores the applets in the Temporary Internet Files.

To read more about this vulnerability issue please see Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-011 and MS Article ID: 816093.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users