Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing Combofix.exe File!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 flamingcranks

flamingcranks

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 29 October 2007 - 07:20 PM

I have a keylogger program installed on my computer to monitor activities on it . Unfortunately, during a Webroot Spy Sweeper scan of the computer, the program prompted my wife that there was a program logging keystrokes. She was suspicious and called Webroot who told her to install the combofix.exe program. She did and now the Keylogger has stopped working. It's still installed on the computer but somehow it has disabled the programs ability to send email reports to my office. How do I remove this program without affecting other programs on the computer?

Moved from from the XP Forum. ~acklan~

Edited by acklan, 29 October 2007 - 08:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 katana

katana

MRU Expert

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 29 October 2007 - 10:27 PM

ComboFix is "stand alone" program. It does not get installed and it does not run all the time.
It scans, deletes any files that it "knows" are bad, creates a report and then closes.

If Spy Sweeper flagged the keylogging program, then it is likely that it has removed the files it flagged.
You may need to reinstall the program.
Posted Image

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 34,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 30 October 2007 - 01:42 PM

You should not be using Combofix unless you have been instructed to do so by a Malware Removal Expert. It is a powerful tool intended to be used under the guidance and supervision of an expert, not for private use. Using this tool incorrectly could adversely impact your system and prevent it from ever starting again.

Although someone from Webroot made the referral, I doubt they will accept responsibility if you use combofix on your own and something goes wrong. If your using it directly under supervision, then you would have someone to guide you should a problem arise.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#4 flamingcranks

flamingcranks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 07:32 AM

Webroot instructed my wife on how to install the combofix program by sending the instructions via email. Wants installed it's disabled the Eblaster program I was using to monitor the ativity on it. My question is how do I remove the combofix program without disabling my computer and losing my files? Please advise!

JB

#5 katana

katana

MRU Expert

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:34 AM

These instructions are for informational purposes only
Bleeping Computer will accept NO responsibility if you use combofix without authorized help

> Outdated instructions removed <

Edited by katana, 22 November 2009 - 12:21 PM.

Posted Image

#6 flamingcranks

flamingcranks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2007 - 10:54 AM

Thanks! That seemed to correct the problem.

#7 mike gee

mike gee

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 11:14 AM

is there anybody on line that can help me how to remove combofix, today is november 22, 2009, please somebody that had used it today or yesterday, because it will not uninstall, no matter wich way you do it, and no matter what you do, is there a way to uninstall it manually. please helpppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

NEVER MIND I FIGURED IT OUT MYSELF, IS NOT FAIR THAT THE CHANGE WASN'T POST IT BEFORE ON THE SITE.

Edited by mike gee, 22 November 2009 - 11:36 AM.

#8 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 11:39 AM

NEVER MIND I FIGURED IT OUT MYSELF, IS NOT FAIR THAT THE CHANGE WASN'T POST IT BEFORE ON THE SITE.

Those are the wishes of the author that created the tool. They will be respected. If you choose to run the program on your own - at your own risk - against all warnings... you will have to live with the consequences.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#9 wolsno

wolsno

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 02:14 PM

Those are the wishes of the author that created the tool. They will be respected. If you choose to run the program on your own - at your own risk - against all warnings... you will have to live with the consequences.

That's a pretty bogus answer. If you don't want people running the tool on their own that's fine - don't make it available for download except by personalized links within individual threads - but not providing information on uninstalling something that IS widely available is bull.

Edited by quietman7, 09 September 2010 - 05:24 PM.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 34,014 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 02:58 PM

This thread is almost two years old and there may have been some confusion because of that when a reply was recently posted. Be aware that our policy has changed since this topic was started.

As a general policy, Bleeping Computer does not offer advice on how to run ComboFix unless we asked someone to run it or there is a problem with the computer caused by running it. This is because people should not be using ComboFix without being advised to do so by someone (i.e. Malware Response Team) who is assisting a member deal a malware issue on that system. This keeps in accordance with the authors desire not to discuss the inner workings of the program and interpreting the results in public forums to protect the integrity of the tool from malware writers. Please read the ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here thread.

However, if someone needs help after using ComboFix on their own, we try to provide that assistance including how to uninstall it.

Edited by quietman7, 09 September 2010 - 05:26 PM.

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users