Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ad-aware Se

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Groffeaston

Groffeaston

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 28 October 2007 - 01:50 AM

I tried to download Ad-Aware SE, but it sopped downloading about 1.5% of the way through, and said it was complete. I have a Windows Vista machine,was on Internet Explorer, after trying to download it on Firefox. I have dial-up internet access. Am I doing something wrong. I had cleared the Temporary internet file,browsing history,temporary file on my computer, and also the recycle bin. It still did not completely download. Is there another way to download it? Any help will be appreciated. Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,557 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2007 - 07:25 AM

Are you having trouble downloading anything else or just Ad-aware SE?
What link are you using for downloading it?

Ad-aware SE was recently updated. See What's New in Ad-Aware 2007 Free?

The new version is much larger in size (18,694 KB) because in includes additional enhancements available only if you choose to purchase them. If that was the version you were trying to download, then because of its size, you could have problems when using dial-up.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#3 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2007 - 11:15 PM

I was just having problems downloading the Ad-Aware SE. I tried to downlad the free version, using Firefox first a few times. When that did not work, I went and tried to dowload it using the Internet Explorer a few times. That did not work. I followed the directions on here, where it says if you have popups or other malware start here. It brought me to the page saying about the Ad-Aware SE product. I had even tried to save it to a flash drive. That did not work either. Should I try it again from another location? example; the Library, where they have faster internet connection.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,557 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2007 - 07:00 AM

You can do that but as I previously asked, are you having trouble downloading anything else or just Ad-aware SE?

If you have not tried, then download something else of comparable size to see if you can complete it successfully.

#5 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2007 - 03:40 PM

I just successfully downloaded it onto my flashdrive,while at the library,along with a couple of the other programs that were mentioned. Iwill try to install them when I get home later, around 5:30 pm eastern time. I know I have adware on my computer at home. So I do not know If that would have any affect of not. When I ran a adware scan program I saw a "Trojan-dropper" come up as one of the files it picked up. Hopefully this will load onto the computer when I get home and then I can try to get rid of my problems I have on the computer.

One question I do have is, If I stop accepting cookies on my computer, will that affect some of the web sites that I usually visit? Because, I am taking college classes online and that might interfear with my courses. And if I decide to purchse anything online as well. That is the only reason I have not stopped all cookies as of yet. As a test to see if that is the way these "problems" came in. What is your opinion?

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,557 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2007 - 04:36 PM

Cookies are text string messages given to a Web browser by a Web server. Whenever you visit a web page or navigate different pages with your browser, the web site generates a unique ID number which your browser stores in a text (cookie) file that is sent back to the server each time the browser requests a page from that server. Cookies allow third-party providers such as ad serving networks, spyware or adware providers to track personal information. The main purpose of cookies is to identify users and prepare customized Web pages for them.

Cookies can be categorized as:
Trusted cookies are from sites you trust, use often, and want to be able to identify and personalize content for you.
Nuisance cookies are from those sites you do not recognize or often use but somehow it's put a cookie on your machine.
Bad cookies are those that can be linked to an ad company or something that tracks your movements across the web. They are called "profiling cookies," "persistent cookies," "long term tracking cookies," "third party tracking cookies" or "tracking cookies”.

The type of cookie that is a cause for concern is the last category because they can be considered a privacy risk. These types of cookies are used to track your Web browsing habits (your movement from site to site). Ad companies use them to record your activity on all sites where they have placed ads. They can keep count of how many times you visited a web page, store your username and password so you don't have to log in and retain your custom settings. When you visit one of these sites, a cookie is placed on your computer. Each time you visit another site that hosts one of their ads, that same cookie is read, and soon they have assembled a list of which of their sites you have visited and which of their ads that you have clicked on. They are used all over the Internet and advertisement companies often plant them whenever your browser loads one of their banners. Cookies are NOT a "threat". As text files they cannot be executed to cause any damage. Cookies do not cause any pop ups nor do they install malware.

As long as you surf the Internet, you are going to get cookies and some of your security programs will flag them for removal. However, you can minimize this by reading "Blocking & Managing Unwanted Cookies"

#7 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2007 - 09:13 AM

I download the Ad-Aware program at the library and then successfully loaded it onto my computer at home. But now Wiondows will not let me run it. What is going on? Was it something I did? or i there something else going on? I also successfully downloadload and then successfully loaded Spybot onto my home computer from the library. That works OK. Should I unistall the Ad-aware, then reinstall it to see if works then?

Thanks for the info on cookies. I was not sure if any malware or such could come in that way or not.

If it is easier for you, you can email me at: [email protected] Thanks.

Edited by Groffeaston, 30 October 2007 - 09:16 AM.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,557 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2007 - 10:20 AM

Are you getting any error messages? What happens if you run it in "Safe Mode"?

Edited by quietman7, 30 October 2007 - 05:06 PM.

#9 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2007 - 03:54 PM

The only thing that happens is a small window appears and that says: "Ad-Aware 2007 has stopped working". Then below that in the box it says: "a problem has caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available". That happens as soon as i click to run the program and same thing with the Ad Watch program, witch also came with the Ad-aware program when I downloaded it. Except it says that "Ad Watch 2007 stopped working". Then in the box the rest is the same. Could there be a problem with the programs? I will try the website for the programs to see if they have anything on this. Maybe they might be able to help as well. If they do, I will see if they will pass along the info to this web site. So if other people have the same problems as I do might be helped.

The border color around the window or box in a light blue. But the screen does not change at all, it stays the same. Just that the window pops up saying the program stopped working.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,557 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2007 - 05:03 PM

Try Lavasoft - General Support

#11 Alan D

Alan D

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 30 October 2007 - 05:44 PM

The only thing that happens is a small window appears and that says: "Ad-Aware 2007 has stopped working".

Ad-Aware 2007 has caused a lot of problems since its release, and although at least some of those problems seem to have been solved, my personal decision is still not to attempt to install it on my computer.

SuperAntispyware is a very highly recommended and very reliable antispyware program, and under no circumstances would I be without it. You can download a free version, here:
http://www.superantispyware.com/

A scan with Superantispyware may prove to be a better solution to your difficulties at the moment.
Windows XP Home SP2; AVG 7.5 Internet Security Suite (AV/AS r.t.p, and firewall); Windows Defender (r.t.p on); SuperAntispyware Free; a-squared Free 3.5.0.15; Spybot 1.4 (Immunised, but no Tea-timer); AdAware SE Free; AVG Anti-Rootkit Free; Spywareblaster; MVPS Hosts file (with HostsMan); McAfee Site Advisor.

#12 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2007 - 01:29 AM

Hi guys. It is me again. I checked in at the Ad-Aware 2007 website, and found out that it seems to be a problem with the program. I got the program to install but it will not run. I got an "program stopped working" message. Then "system error 1810 service not online" message. And now "error 1053 service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion" message. Now I wait to see what they say what else I can do to try and solve the BUGS in the program. In the meantime anyone have any sugestions to a comparable program that might help with my suspected adware,spyware,or other proplems on my computer.

The problem I have been having is: sometimes when I click to open a window, it either opens and keeps opening or takes for ever to open or goes to a diferent place than what I wanted. Also when my Mc Afee anti Spyware program ran onetime it picked up a trojan program. It quarentined it then I deleted it. Ever since then I have had some problems. Sometimes my internet access will get cut off, for no reason, programs will freeze, programs will stop working for a while then start working again. Could I have some sort of malware in my computer?

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,557 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2007 - 07:31 AM

when my Mc Afee anti Spyware program ran onetime it picked up a trojan program. It quarentined it then I deleted it

Can you provide the name, specific file associated with and location of this Trojan?

anyone have any sugestions to a comparable program that might help with my suspected adware,spyware

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune & save it to your desktop. DO NOT use yet.
Please download and install SUPERAntiSpyware Free
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and unzip into the program's folder.)
  • Under "General and Startup", make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.
  • Under "Configuration and Preferences", click the Preferences button.
  • Click the Scanning Control tab.
  • Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
  • Do not run a scan just yet.
Reboot your computer in "SAFE MODE" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
  • If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware as follows:
  • Launch the program and back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan and click "Next".
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
  • Click Close to exit the program.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users