Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why Is My Pc Show Less Ram Than It Has?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 barthow

barthow

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 03:07 PM

I have bought this new Pc and works fine in every manner however i have this thing im wondering about:
When i run msinfo32 it says i got 4096 Mb ram but when i look in systeminfo its says i only have 2750 Mb ram
A friend of mine says its because Windows cant detect more than 2.75Gb ram but kinda doubt that and thought i would get a second oppinion just in case :-)
I even checked its and there is indeed 4x 1024Mb slots in it so im certain it have it and have no problems in any way running high graphic games and so on my Pc it just anoys me it doesnt show the right amount !

Navn på operativsystem Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 build 2600
Navn på producent Microsoft Corporation
Systemnavn BRIAN-PC
Systemproducent Acer
Systemmodel Aspire E380
Systemtype X86-baseret PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 67 Stepping 3 AuthenticAMD ~2812 Mhz
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 67 Stepping 3 AuthenticAMD ~2812 Mhz
BIOS-version/dato Phoenix Technologies, LTD R01-B3, 07-02-2007
SMBIOS-version 2.3
Windows-mappe C:\WINDOWS
System-mappe C:\WINDOWS\system32
Startenhed \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Landestandard Danmark
Abstraktionslag for hardware Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
Brugernavn BRIAN-PC\Brian
Tidszone Rom, normaltid
Fysisk hukommelse i alt 4.096,00 MB
Tilgængelig fysisk hukommelse 2,24 GB
Virtuel hukommelse i alt 2,00 GB
Tilgængelig virtuel hukommelse 1,96 GB
Plads til sidefil 4,59 GB
Sidefil C:\pagefile.sys

Hope some of you have a response or even a solution to this minor problem and im sorry for the danish in msinfo32

Regards Barthow

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 04:13 PM

XP Home and Pro will run on 4 gigs See here- Crucial Did you add memory or was it original to the purchase?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 04:13 PM

Normally windows can detect about 3.25 gig of ram in a 32 bit Operating System. You would need a 64bit OS to use the full 4096 MB of ram. The amount of ram that windows sees is also affected by onboard graphics chips that use part of the ram as video ram.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users