Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Much Slower Than Usual, Making Crackling Noises

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Spacewalker

Spacewalker

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 02:27 AM

Hello all,

Can you help me ?
My laptop has been making a weird clicking sound, sort of like high pitch crackling and buzzzing, something rapidly cycling back and forth.

Computer been very slow and sluggish.

I'm not real savvy with techie stuff, so not sure if been taken over by malware, viruses, etc. I'm not sure if this is the best forum to post. Sorry ahead of time if wrong forum.

I ran Ad-Aware, got rid of the infections.
Then I ran the Spybot S&D, removed the items found

I also Defragmented.

I did a HiJack This run. Don't know if I should post it here.

Still, the computer running very slowly. Frequently making that buzzing sound. When I click on Internet Explorer icon, it takes much longer than usual to launch. Same with other programs like MS Word.

Can you please help me ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 6,365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 06:55 AM

"Sounds" like you have a hard drive failing and possibly malware as well. The sounds you describe would point to a hard drive failing.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”
Lawrence M. Krauss

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 33,283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 09:21 AM

If your computer seems to be slow, read Slow Computer/Browser? Check here first; it may not be malware. There are reasons for slowness besides malware - i.e. disk fragmentation, disk errors, corrupt system files, too many startup programs, unnecessary services running, not enough RAM, dirty hardware components, etc. As your system gets older it becomes filled with more files/programs and has a natural tendency to slow down so cleaning and regular maintenance is essential.

Some Troubleshooting Tools you can try:

Download and run Motherboard Monitor 5. If Motherboard Monitor's seems to be reporting high temperatures for your CPU check to see what your max CPU temp is from here.

You can also use NextSensor to check temperature and voltage or SpeedFan to monitor voltages, fan speed, SMART status, and temperatures. SpeedFan can help you investigate the reasons for an unpredictable reboot or for a failing hard disk as well as whether you are likely to experience temperature related issues.

There are suggestions for troubleshooting power supply, video card, CPU, RAM, MB and hard drive here and here.

You can use BurnInTest to stress test the CPU, hard drives, RAM, CD-ROMs, CD burners, DVDs, sound cards, graphics, network connection, printers, video playback. This utility works on all Windows versions to include Vista (32-bit & 64-bit).

Another option is to use Microsoft's Online Crash Analysis. The Windows Memory Diagnostic tests the RAM for errors with a comprehensive set of diagnostic memory tests or you can test your RAM with either of the following tools:

Memtest86+ and follow the instructions to Diagnose with Memtest86+.
Once a bootable disk is made, just leave it in the drive and reboot your computer. However, before rebooting, you need to enter the BIOS setup and make sure that the Boot Order is set so that your first boot device is either the floppy drive or the CD-ROM drive, depending on which type of disk you made. If necessary, change the boot order, save your changes, and exit Setup. When the machine restarts it should boot from your Memtest disk, and the program will start automatically.

Memtest86.
Download ISO images for creating a bootable Memtest86 CD-ROM or an installable from Windows/DOS to create a bootable floppy disk or usb flash drive. Read the directions under Technical Info and allow Memtest86 to run through the entire battery of tests for at least 4 full passes (or let it run overnight). Any errors indicate that there is likely a problem with your physical memory (RAM).
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users