Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Pc Doesn't Recognize My 2nd Hard Drive.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 yorocco7

yorocco7

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 16 October 2007 - 01:22 PM

Hello! I recently found 2 Hard drives from some old PC's. 1 is 60G the other 250G. I've been trying to add the 250G as a 2nd (slave) Drive on my PC (win2000). When I go to "Setup" (before the boot) the system sees the HDD. When I boot up, it shows all the listed drives. The 2nd HDD is shown. When I go to MY COMPUTER there is no drive listed for the 2nd HDD. I believe the 2nd HDD has info on it. I'm not sure what OS it was connected to before. Its probably w2000 or Linux. I'd like to be able to look into the drive to see what info is on it (before I format it, if I can). Its a Western Digital HDD. I tried used "Data Life Guard tool". It looked like it was going to work, but then said it could not complete the process. I checked out the tutorial about installing HDD's in this forum, but it seemed that info was for installing new or unformatted HDD's. I could use some help on this problem. Thanks!
Acer 5738Z - Pent.Dual Core T4200 2.0GHz - 4.00GB RAM - 64-Bit Vista Biz & Win7 Pro -Latest Moz.F.F. & T.B.- Avast!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 16 October 2007 - 03:07 PM

Go into Disk Management and see if it's there
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2007 - 04:05 PM

Are you sure that number two drive (250GB) is a working drive? Have you set the jumpers to SLAVE? Have you gone into the BIOS and check to see if the drive is recognized by the hardware? In the SLAVE on the primary controller set it to AUTO. This should allow the drive to be detected.
If the BIOS does not detect the drive but you are sure it is a good drive try putting the BIOS battery for a minute and reinsert and see if the BIOS then detects the drive.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 zaroba

zaroba

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2007 - 10:08 PM

since its showing in the bios setup, but not in windows it could be a bad drive.

as for data that might be on it, there are programs out there that can scan and extract data off broken hard drives. i've often use Stellar Phoenix to extract stuff off broken hard drives that were completely invisible to windows or visible but 99% unaccessible.

Case: Fractal Design Define XL | OS: Windows 7 - 64bit | Monitor: 24" HD LCD
Ram: 8 gb ddr3 | GPU: 1280MB Asus GeForce GTX 570
HDs: 2x 1tb Seagate Barracuda | Mobo: ASUS P8P67 LE
CPU: Intel Core i5 - 2500 @ 3.3GHz| PSU: 850Watt Thermaltake Black Widow

#5 narcoreality

narcoreality

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2007 - 02:05 AM

since its showing in the bios setup, but not in windows it could be a bad drive.

as for data that might be on it, there are programs out there that can scan and extract data off broken hard drives. i've often use Stellar Phoenix to extract stuff off broken hard drives that were completely invisible to windows or visible but 99% unaccessible.

If the second drive has Linux on it, the drive won't show in Windows.

#6 zaroba

zaroba

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2007 - 06:20 AM

in that case...could try putting it in as the only hard drive to see if it boots upto linux, unless it doesn't have a linux os on it.

Case: Fractal Design Define XL | OS: Windows 7 - 64bit | Monitor: 24" HD LCD
Ram: 8 gb ddr3 | GPU: 1280MB Asus GeForce GTX 570
HDs: 2x 1tb Seagate Barracuda | Mobo: ASUS P8P67 LE
CPU: Intel Core i5 - 2500 @ 3.3GHz| PSU: 850Watt Thermaltake Black Widow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users