Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Toolbar And Desktop Icons

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bowserjr

bowserjr

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 06 October 2007 - 09:23 AM

Hello,
Could really use some help on this. I tried searching if anyone else had this problem so if it's out there, if someone could redirect me to the topic where it is already covered that would be great too. I am running windows xp pro. I have tried running super anitspyware, spybot search and destroy, ad aware and nod 32. When I boot up in safe mode everything comes up fine, however when I boot up in normal mode all my dekstop icons and toolbar won't comeup and all I see is my background. All I can do is a ctl+alt+del to get a run cmd going and run a program from there. Any ideas on what is hosing my pc from letting the desktop icons and toolbar load?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sagacity83

Sagacity83

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 06 October 2007 - 01:08 PM

First try to pull up the start menu (which in turn, will pull up the task bar) by pressing Ctrl+Esc. If the task bar comes up, right click on an empty space on the Taskbar and click on "Properties" . Under the "Taskbar" tab, make sure "Lock the task bar" is checked, and "Auto hide the taskbar" is unchecked. Hope this works.
Gateway GM5076e, Pentium D CPU 3.20GHZ, 2.1GB of RAM, 465GB SATA HDD, NVIDIA GeForce 6200 TurboCache™
256MB, Windows XP Media Center SP2, Mozilla Firefox, McAfee Security Center, AdAwareSE, F-Secure Blacklight, A-squared Free.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 25,916 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2007 - 01:15 PM

You might try looking at this Microsoft KB article regarding Your Desktop Icons Are Missing in Windows XP.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown

Posted Image

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 bowserjr

bowserjr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2007 - 09:47 AM

Sorry, I wish it was that simple as a hidden toolbar and right click to show desktop icons. This is something more serious that is affecting the registry I believe. I looked up a couple articles on it, thought it might be a sysu.exe virus running in the backgroung but that's not it either. Any other ideas?
Thanks
:thumbsup:

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 07 October 2007 - 10:30 AM

Try this:
kellys-korner
Restore Desktop Icons and Taskbar - #195, on the Right
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users