Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Connect To Web Pages

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 woodsy74

woodsy74

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 05 October 2007 - 08:05 PM

I am unable to connect to web pages on my lap top. I am using Firefox. When I open the internet to my homepage I get an hourglass for a very long time and eventually I get a blank white page and it will say Done in the bottom left status bar. When I did one of those Virus Scans for my computer I was able to connect to get and download updates for it but when I try to get on the internet I keep having this issue. Any ideas on what I can do to correct the issue? Oh, and if you haven't already figured it out, I am not very technical. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ^MavericK!

^MavericK!

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2007 - 02:56 AM

The fact your AV can connect to make an update and your explorer can't, it look like your Firewall is blockng it, and you use a Antivirus/Firewall software.

What's Antivirus you use?

Turn the AV firewall and try it.

Try going into safe mode with networking, althou if it's Norton you will still be blocked.

Also a very common thing is having the Explorer set to work offline, check that too.
Click on "File" on the top left corner of your FireFox and make sure that is not checked

Hope it helps

Mav

Edited by ^MavericK!, 06 October 2007 - 02:57 AM.

#3 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 06 October 2007 - 11:32 AM

Hi woodsy74,

Do you see the same behavior in Internet Explorer?

If you do, see if there is something in either of these articles that helps.
You cannot open a new Internet Explorer window or nothing occurs after you click a link

No Links
And look under, 'If you get a blank page'.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#4 woodsy74

woodsy74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2007 - 03:01 PM

I have the same issue whether I use Firefox or IE. I rebooted in Safe Mode w Networking and everything worked fine. The web sites opened and look as they normally do, speed was fine, etc. I have the McAfee security that came with Comcast internet service. I turned that Firewall off and in normal mode I still have my issue. I then went under Control Panel to try and see if I needed to change the Firewall set up there but I cannot open it there. I get a message stating "Windows cannot display Windows Firewall Settings".

So, my bottom line right now is that it works in Safe Mode but not in "normal" mode. Any suggestions?

#5 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 06 October 2007 - 03:31 PM

Go to this Micro$oft article: Error message when you try to access a Web site in Internet Explorer, and click on Section 2: Third-party software or Internet connections settings issues.

Since you already know that you can connect when the computer is in Safe mode, start following the instructions at Part 2: Clean boot Windows XP.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users