Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer/firefox Switch

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 trumpetman51

trumpetman51

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 08 September 2007 - 04:46 AM

I don't know what happened, but now when I open Internet Explorer (6) and either type in a URL or select a "FAVORITE" the desired page opens in the Firefox Browser INSTEAD!!!

To be SPECIFIC.....IF I OPEN an Internet Explorer window and then select a "FAVORITE" OR type a URL into the address bar, the Internet Explorer window STAYS on the HOME PAGE and a NEW FIREFOX WINDOW OPENS TO THE DESIRED LOCATION!!!

PLEASE HELP!!

trumpetman51
"The right direction's all that counts and there's no way for me to get there late!!"

trumpetman51 (John)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DanC1186

DanC1186

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 08 September 2007 - 01:35 PM

It sounds like you need to reset IE as your default browser. Open up internet explorer and and under the 'TOOLS' menu you with find 'Internet Options'.

Under the Internet Options window, choose the 'Programs' tab.

Towards the bottom you will see a button that says 'Make default'. That will revert IE6 back to being your default browser. To prevent this from happening in the future, also check the box that says 'Tell me if IE is not the default browser'.

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 33,480 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2007 - 11:39 PM

Hmm. I'm not so sure if the default browser setting is the culprit here, though it is worth investigating. I use both Firefox and IE, and Firefox is my default browser. There are a few websites that I use IE for, and not once has Firefox opened up when I type URL addresses or click on links in IE. Couldn't say about clicking on favorites as I don't have any in IE. It seems that something else might be responsible for trumpetman51's problem, but I haven't a clue as to what.

Wild hunches/guesses/possibilities/theories/ideas:

Is it possible that someone with an administrative account could create a restriction on a limited access account so that IE could not go to any page but the home page?

Is it possible that the homepage itself is creating the problem? In other words, it refuses to permit the user to change the page, so the computer responds by opening Firefox instead?

Is there some strange computer infection that might be causing the problem?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SuperAntiSpyware, SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 trumpetman51

trumpetman51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2007 - 04:21 AM

I'm happy to say that I have corrected the problem!!

I'm NOT happy to say that I am NOT sure how the correction happened OR HOW the problem was created in the first place.

It may be that it was Spybot S&D's "Tea Timer" resident protection that caused the problem of browser re-direction.....because one thing that I did was to UNINSTALL Spybot, then RE-INSTAll IT WITHOUT the "TEA TIMER" resident function being enabled. I AM using the resident part of Spybot that "BLOCKS BAD PAGES SILENTLY" but NOT USING the "TEA TIMER" option which prevents changes to such settings as "Home Page", "SEARCH PAGE" and possibly DEFAULT BROWSER!!

I also must mention that as DanC1186 suggested, I TRIED to change the DEFAULT BROWSER SETTING BACK TO IE BUT THERE ACTUALLY WAS NOT ANY WAY TO SIMPLY GO TO IE's INTERNET OPTIONS PANEL, PROGRAMS TAB AND SIMPLY "CLICK" A BUTTON THAT SAYS "MAKE DEFAULT".....the only OPTION THERE was to "CHECK TO SEE IF IE IS THE DEFAULT BROWSER" and EVEN THOUGH I HAD THAT OPTION SELECTED, IE WAS NEVER ASKING TO BE THE DEFAULT. I HAD SELECTED FIREFOX TO BE DEFAULT BUT I COULDN'T SEEM TO "UN-SELECT" THAT SETTING!!!

ANYWAY, I WILL CONTINUE TO READ ANYONE'S REPLIES TO THIS ISSUE BUT PLEASE KNOW THAT I HAVE GONE FROM USING IE 6 to IE 7 and on the PROGRAM TAB of INTERNET OPTIONS in IE7 THERE IS a BUTTON to "MAKE IE THE DEFAULT BROWSER" DOES EXIST AND I HAVE ACCOMPLISHED THIS!!!

I CURRENTLY AM NOT HAVING THE PROBLEM THAT I ORIGINALLY POSTED ABOUT!!!

THANKS to ALL WHO REPLIED!!!!!!

trumpetman51
"The right direction's all that counts and there's no way for me to get there late!!"

trumpetman51 (John)

#5 trumpetman51

trumpetman51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2007 - 06:28 PM

Thanks to all

Let's consider this TOPIC CLOSED!!!

trumpetman51 (John)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users