Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Can't Retrieve Compacted Emails From Outlook Express

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 swtsnd

swtsnd

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 06 September 2007 - 05:46 PM

Outlook Express offerred to save me space by compacting my email messages. All my email messages disappeared from my inbox and I don't know where to go to find them.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 07 September 2007 - 12:38 AM

It's possible that the file was corrupted and lost forever, which can be common when compressing e-mails which are all sort of attatched in that they're stored in a DATABASE File. When compressing the file, if it's already got bad info then the compression makes it worse. It's also possible that it's saved in a seperate file and moved somewhere else. Search for either, .dbx or .pst files on the drive. The name of the file should give away whether it's the one you compressed. Also, don't attempt to open it if you find it. just let me know. the name should be something like inbox.pst or possibly have compressed in the filename as some programs do to tell you that they've been compressed.

Let me know what you find

#3 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2007 - 06:40 AM

Since SP2, I think, OE puts copies of the emails in the recycle bin when it compacts. You can try just restoring all of them back to OE. I don't know how that really works though. But if you go into Edit in the recycle bin, you do have the option to move them to a different folder after you highlight them. That might be the safest way for now to get them back if they're still in the recycle bin.

Also, it's best when OE starts compacting to stop whatever you are doing and wait for it to finish. That lessens the chances of anything going wrong.

Edited by mommabear, 07 September 2007 - 06:41 AM.

#4 rfl12345

rfl12345

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2008 - 08:32 AM

Random User,
I have the same problem. Now I found the .dbx files. Now what do i do .
I tried to open them but cannot. I have Windows XP
Thanks
Robert

#5 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2008 - 02:13 PM

You might try this freeware tool.

Viewer for standalone files containing Microsoft Outlook Express 4,5 and 6 message database (*.idx/*.mbx/*.dbx) and standalone EML files. This application is based on MiTeC Outlook Express Reader. It displays list of contained messages and their header. Message can be viewed in detailed view including attachments (save ability) and HTML preview and printing. Messages can be saved to *.eml files.

http://www.mitec.cz/oeview.html

After your open it, go to the top where it says File, and choose Open. Browse to the folder where the .dbx files are. Select the .dbx file you want to see, ie Inbox.dbx, highlight it, select Open.

All the emails in the Inbox are now listed. Highlight the email you want, and then go to the top to Message Database, and select Message View. And there it is!

Or if you just want to save the complete folder first and then look at all of them, just highlight all the messages in the .dbx folder, go up to Message Database and choose "Save Selected" and save them to a folder of your choice, say in My Documents. If you need to put any of them back into your OE Inbox, Sent, a special folder...wherever...you can drag and drop them into OE again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users