Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Restore A Pc Purchased As "display Model"

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rlong611

rlong611

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 02 September 2007 - 01:10 AM

I just purchased an HP Media Center PC with Vista Ultimate from Sam's; however, it was the display model. Sam's Club has created a user account on it called "Sams" and has obviously gone through the initial set-ups that are performed when you power up a brand new PC. If its possible, I would like to have the PC set to the original factory defaults so I can go through the entire user set-up myself. I have read through the restore topics, but I'm not sure what applies to this situation.

There are two user accounts "Sams" and "Guest" and I logged into "Sams" successfully and without a password.

I am definitely not a PC guru and need some advice on the correct way to do this. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 02 September 2007 - 02:22 AM

In the lower right of the screen, when the computer starts and you see the Blue HP Logo, is should say press {F10} for system restore. Start tapping this key, read the on screen instructions to do the format and restore You can also read HP's instruction page on windows vista

Make your restore disks as soon as this is done. You will need two or three dvds and one cd.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 Johnathan Lyman

Johnathan Lyman

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2007 - 02:30 AM

Some HP machines only require one CD, as mine only needed one and I have an HP Pavillion DV9xxx.

There's nothing like the first time you start up your machine and Vista welcomes you.... ahhh....

*PS: Let's hope you got a discount for the display model...*

Edited by Johnathan Lyman, 02 September 2007 - 02:31 AM.

Johnathan Lyman
Keep On Rockin'!

"I know my computer like the back of my hand, so don't go telling me I don't know what's going on."
www.johnathanlyman.com

#4 ^MavericK!

^MavericK!

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2007 - 05:23 AM

Fire the computer and start "tapping" F11, untill you see "Windows is Loading Files" that will start the "Recovery Manager" and will guide you to roll it back your box/nb to Factory settings. When you finish doing this you can go to Start>All programs and look for "HP Recovery Manager" and choose "Create a Recovery DVD" It will go in one single DVD.

You can always call and get the Recovery DVD, but it will cost, at least shipping&Handling.

Always good to do this when you change the owner of a box.

Mav

#5 rlong611

rlong611
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2007 - 12:50 PM

Thanks for the info... I think I'll be able to get this done now. I just wasn't sure which process to use.

I normally would have stayed away from the display model; however, this PC was a fantastic deal (I think). Since Sam's Club has a SIX month return policy on PC's, I figured I could take it back if I had problems. To be honest, I'm not sure what everything in the Spec list actually means, but here it is...

PRICE: $1,225

HP Pavilion Media Center m8067c-b TV PC
HP W2207 Monitor
Windows Vista Ultimate
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
2048MB PC2-4200 DDR2 SDRAM
500GB 7200RPM Serial ATA Drive
HD DVD Player
SuperMulti DVD w/LightScribe
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT w/TV out & Dual DVI capabilities
Wireless LAN 802.11 b/g
HP VGA Webcam
15-in-1 card reader
56 K Modem
Wireless Keyboard & Optical Mouse w/ext range up to 30ft
PVR w/instant replay, up to 305 hrs video archiving
FM Tuner w/antenna
HP Media Center remote control w/infrared receiver

It also came with Norton Internet Security 2007 and I want this off my PC!!! I have never had a good experience with Norton including uninstalling it.

Anyone know how I can completely remove this software? I attempted this on my old PC about a year after I got it using the Windows uninstall feature, but three years later, there are still remnants of this software!

Thanks!!

Edited by rlong611, 02 September 2007 - 12:55 PM.

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2007 - 01:10 PM

The best way to eliminate Norton is to run the uninstaller(s) in the add/remove programs, then restart the computer and then run the Norton Removal Tool and restart once more. Please be sure to use the top tool in the list.

Edited by oldf@rt, 02 September 2007 - 01:12 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users