Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Quality In Vlc Media Player

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chrisy.

chrisy.

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 29 August 2007 - 11:48 PM

Is there any possible way to make DVD plays in VLC Media with better video quality like PowerDVD? It'd better be free better not be complicated (I'm not an advanced computer user).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Verify

Verify

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 30 August 2007 - 03:11 PM

Don't see why not. When you put in your DVD go to "My Computer" then click the DVD icon then open with... choose VLC Player. I haven't tested this because when I play DVD's I usually play them with Windows Media Player.

-EDIT-

Also, a video quality relies on many things.. Graphics Card, RAM (<-- I think), Codecs (<-- MAIN ONE). So I think if you look around the net for some video codecs they should play your videos better. For me I like K-lite media codec pack, or something around that name I forgot. =P

Edited by Verify, 30 August 2007 - 03:15 PM.

#3 chrisy.

chrisy.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:55 AM

K-Lite Codec Pack? I have that. But I don't know how to configure some of the stuff. I have good graphics card and 1.2 gb of ram, the problem is with the player. Play the same DVD on VLC and PowerDVD, and compare the quality, it's pretty obvious.

#4 Verify

Verify

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2007 - 01:18 AM

I don't use Power DVD so I have no idea what the quality is like, and yea it's K-Lite Codec but when you install it, It's only for certain players like windows media player and so forth. But to answer the amain question just put the DVD in then go to VLC player then select the DVD.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2007 - 05:40 AM

there must be an issue with how you have VLC setup, I use it, powerdvd, media player classic and nero showtime, and all of them display dvd movies with equal quality.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 31 August 2007 - 05:55 PM

There are only two things affecting video quality. The video file in itself, and post-processing related stuff. Unless your the guy filming and encoding the video file there is nothing you can do about it. De-interlacing, noise-reduction, up-mixing and other post-processing is done by the decoder or player. I guess it is possible that PowerDVD is doing something to fix up the video. In VLC go to Settings > Prefrences > Input / Codecs > Other codecs > ffmpeg. There you can increase post-processing.

Personally I recommend against K-Lite codec pack.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:58 PM

Personally I recommend against K-Lite codec pack.

I gave up on it a while back, ffdshow seems to work much better
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#8 chrisy.

chrisy.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2007 - 06:48 PM

Well I guess I will just figure this out myself. Thanks, guys. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users