Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cd Tray Keeps Opening

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 dtop

dtop

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Location:Moon Township, PA (Near the Pittsburgh International Airport
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:27 PM

I just returned from vacation and did not use my computer for 10 days. When I returned and logged on my CD tray opens and closes. Sometimes not all the way and at times it is OK. What could be causing this and how can I correct it. Thank you :thumbsup:
Have a great day,
Dtop

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mand0

mand0

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 03:04 PM

Clearly all signs show that your CD-ROM is possessed!

You can check if there's something preventing it from closing all the way. You may also want to scan for viruses/trojans. Do you have another CD-ROM you can test?

#3 dtop

dtop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:59 PM

No I don't.........I just got on after dinner and it hasn't done it yet.
Have a great day,
Dtop

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 07:42 PM

Do you have the player set to "auto-run"? Maybe there's dust on the lens and it thinks there's a CD in it. You could remove the drive in Device Manager and reboot and let Windows re-detect it.
One more possibility, do you have a practical joker around that had access to your machine while you were gone? There's a hack out there that does exactly what you describe
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 17 August 2007 - 01:29 AM

Hi dtop, Sorry to hear about your problem and I hope that you get it sorted out in short order. I kind of support mand0's theory that your PC is possessed...do you have a cross handy?

There's also a lot to be said for garmanma's comment about having a practical joker around too. Good luck finding out what it is.

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#6 dtop

dtop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 01:10 PM

It's starting to do it again. At times it doesn't do it and other times it goes wild, opening and closing. There is no other person that uses my computer and no one had access to it while I was on vacation. I did a virus scan on both drives and also on my hard drive today. All checked out OK. I cleaned it so no dust would be a problem. I don't know if it is on auto-run as garmanma suggested and I don't know how to remove the drive and reload it by the Device manager.
I NEED HELP, THAT TRAY IS DRIVING ME CRAZY............. :thumbsup:
Have a great day,
Dtop

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 03:44 PM

Open My Computer and right-click on the CD drive and select properties. Click on the autoplay tab and make your selection. Click on "apply" and then "OK".
For Device Manager go to the Control Panel>system>hardware and select Device Manager. Right-click on the drive and choose properties and select the drivers tab. You can try "rollback or uninstall. If you uninstal,l when you reboot Windows should redetect it
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#8 dtop

dtop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 12:44 PM

Garmanma,
Thanks for your help. I did what you told me, but I had a problem with the Device Manager. When I right clicked on properties a pop up screen appeared. It had "DVD/CD-ROM Drives Properties on the top. It had one tab titled "General" and under it it stated DVD/CD-ROM Drives. And if you clicked on it it did nothing. There was no Drivers Tab where I could do a roll back or uninstall. It wasn't doing it this morning and now it started again.
Have a great day,
Dtop

#9 dtop

dtop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 06:00 PM

Today I did a uninstall on the CD-ROM and it was still doing it this afternoon. I did a few scans today, one found nothing, the other 2 items and the last (SpywareBot) found 2601 critical objects on my computer. They wanted $39.85 to correct all the problems. Would this correct the problem??
I also call Verizon about the virus protection that I thought I had and they said it was through Yahoo. I need some direction to proceed to correct the problem and some recommended software to protect my computer. While I am on this site it hasn't done it and this afternoon it was active. Why does it do it sometimes and other times nothing??????? I NEED SOME HELP

THANK YOU
Have a great day,
Dtop

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 07:28 PM

Free AVG anti-virushttp://free.grisoft.com

Free Zone Alarm firewall
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,...escription.html

Edited by garmanma, 23 August 2007 - 07:32 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

#11 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 23 August 2007 - 09:09 PM

I can't help with the tray thing, but its funny you say it started happening after a 10-day layoff because I've had odd things happen too if I haven't been on the PC or haven't used a particular program for a few weeks.
Its as if something crept in during the layoff to mess up settings etc, spooky...

#12 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 23 August 2007 - 09:24 PM

As I was reading this thread, I noticed the comment you made about SpywareBot. IMO, any software that wants money to remove "problems" is suspect. Bona fide applications have a free trial period in which the application is fully functional. On further research, I noticed the virtual identical look it has to many rogue spyware applications. It also seems to deceptively leverage the Spybot Search and Destroy name, I also found some comments about false positives. Check the listing here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/S....exe-15495.html
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#13 dtop

dtop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 05:30 PM

I am still having the problem with the CD-ROM Drawer. Today I downloaded Karpersky security software and am running a scan now. So far it has detected 16 adware problems which it says to neutralize them. What is the difference between a virus and a adware problem. The scan is 64% complete. I have one other question: If I went into the Device Manager and disabled the CD-ROM, could I enable it when I want to use it???? I e-mail Mo to see if he found out how to fix it, but he never got back to me. I am learning a lot with this problem, thank you for all your help. Oh, before I ran the same McAfee scan two times. The first found 2 adwares and the next time none.

Edited by dtop, 27 August 2007 - 05:32 PM.

Have a great day,
Dtop

#14 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 29 August 2007 - 12:25 PM

Malware is another term for malicious software, the wikipedia definition is almost identical to a virus: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_virus http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malware
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#15 dtop

dtop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2007 - 12:53 PM

I never solved the problem with my CD ROM drawer so I pulled the plug on it. Now when I start the computer I have to press F1 for it to continue to load. At least now I don't have that annoying problem. But now my CD burner (SonicRecordNow) program doesn't recognize the drive. Under system properties, then click on disk drives, there is one listed (WDC WD200BB-7SAUA1). Before I pulled the plug there were two drives. On "My Computer" there is only the "C" drive and before there were "C" "D" and "E" drives. Did I screw something up and can I run my computer without the CD ROM installed. Also before I pulled the plug I ran a Kaspersky scan and it only found some malware which was deleted, but the drawer still opened and closed. That is the main reason I pulled the plug because I was sure the drive was infected by a virus. As you can see I am not a computer expert and I need help. :thumbsup:
Have a great day,
Dtop

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users