Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Msxml 4.0 Service Pack 2

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 25 July 2007 - 06:14 PM

Hi Everyone,

This --> MSXML 4.0 SP2 <-- seems to have just up and stuck its self into my add/remove programs thingy. Can anyone tell me what the heck it is supposed to do? or how the heck it got into my PC without me downloading it? or how to get rid of it?

I read this Microsoft page --> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en <--but it still doesn't tell me what I want to know about it.

Thanks for any information.

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Falu

Falu

• Security Colleague
  • 2,982 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 26 July 2007 - 03:52 AM

Hi Wendy K. Walker, :thumbsup:

Is this any better?

#3 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope

Posted 29 July 2007 - 04:21 AM

Hi Falu,

Thanks for the link, but those sneaky suckers have moved that page I got this --> The Requested Page Has Moved <-- then got redirected, then got it again before I finally got to where it was.

Nope, that still doesn't help me. Maybe I asked my question wrong or something.

What I want to know is "how do I get rid of it?" As far as I know I have no use for it. I don't know where it came from or who put it in my PC... it just appeared a couple of weeks or so ago.

I found it in my add/remove programs thingy first, then I came across an empty folder that had its name on it. I got rid of the folder but I don't know what to do with what I have in my add/remove programs thingy because that darned thing doesn't have a remove/uninstall feature with it.

How do I get rid of it?

Thanks,

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,425 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 10:27 AM

The question I would ask is do you use an RSS reader? Most free standing RSS readers require you to install Microsoft .NET Framework and it looks like this app may be related to that. I used to use a free standing reader but don't anymore.

#5 Falu

Falu

• Security Colleague
  • 2,982 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2007 - 04:15 PM

Hi Wendy K. Walker

This --> MSXML 4.0 SP2 <-- seems to have just up and stuck its self into my add/remove programs thingy. Can anyone tell me what the heck it is supposed to do? or how the heck it got into my PC without me downloading it?

You know now that KB927978 is a security update for your computer's Microsoft XML Core Services. With Google you can find whatever more you want to know about it.

I don't know where it came from or who put it in my PC... it just appeared a couple of weeks or so ago.

It came with the windows updates.

I found it in my add/remove programs thingy first, then I came across an empty folder that had its name on it. I got rid of the folder but I don't know what to do with what I have in my add/remove programs thingy because that darned thing doesn't have a remove/uninstall feature with it.

I am not sure I understand this but I do understand this question:

How do I get rid of it?

Have you tried removing it from within add/remove? When I highlight it in my add/remove list I can choose remove and I assume it will go when I do that. :thumbsup:

#6 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 01:15 AM

Hi frankp316, Thanks for the reply. No I don't use a RSS reader...I'm way to blond for that and I have never installed any of the .NET stuff on this machine either, however Bill Gates might have had a couple of his cronies do it while my back was turned.

Hi Falu, Thanks for your reply too Boo. I tried reading some of that technical stuff and it gave me a headache. Everything that I red seemed to have something to do with MS Office 3.0, I think, and had seemed to be for people who were developing stuff...and I aren't developing anything except another headache just thinking about it.

As for that add/remove thingy, I think I said in my original post...though it is listed in mine, that sucker doesn't afford me any options at all.

I think I even have some stuff that got stuck into my add/remove window that is for Windows Defender, and I haven't even got that thing on my PC, not that I'm aware of anyway. Wanna see a screen shot of my little add/remove doohickey?

Thanks for giving it a go guys.

Wendy

#7 Falu

Falu

• Security Colleague
  • 2,982 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 02:52 AM

Hi Wendy K. Walker

Go here and follow the uninstall instructions in paragraph: Upgrading to the MSXML 4.0 SP2 SDK.

Hope that works. :thumbsup:

#8 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 11:38 PM

Hi Falu,

oh-oh! um... Well first I have to say 'thank you' for your help so far. Then I have to say that I was just about to follow those instructions on that page but I decided to send my little search dog out sniffing to see if he could find any MSMXL stuff in my files first.

He found a gang of stuff related to that and it was the last five or six in the stack that caused me to put the breaks on so that I could get back to you first.

I read down the list and the last several things at the bottom of the stack seemed to be connected with my HP printer. Then I happened to notice the created dates on several file folders that were included in the search results and those dates seem to correspond to about the time that I first installed my HP printer.

Now, that too seems to correlate to about the same time that my add/remove thingy went all mental on me and changed itself all around.

By 'went mental' I mean that almost everything that had been in it had vanished and a bunch of new stuff had appeared in its place.

So... does HP include that MSMXL thing in their install disks?

Thanks for your help,

Wendy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users