Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Crashes Playing Dvd

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 warmride

warmride

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 23 July 2007 - 03:26 AM

Hi
sometimes when i try to play DVD ,my computer crashes then reboots completely with no error messages.
i go to Event Viewer,and in system ,there is an error in service control manager :
Error Event ID 7000.
Discription:

The ASInsHelp service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified:

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: EVENT_BOOT_SYSTEM_DRIVERS_FAILED
Message: The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: %1

Explanation
The specified drivers did not load correctly. The driver might not be in the expected location.
anyone know what the problem is please?
i am running xp pro pentium 4, 3.2GHz ,1gig memory.

any help greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 22,942 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2007 - 03:35 AM

First thing I would try is to update your video driver. Even if you have the latest driver, try re-installing it.

How to update a Windows hardware driver
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 warmride

warmride
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2007 - 04:25 AM

Hi Budapest
Thankyou for your quick response.
I did as you suggested ( i had the latest Driver for my Nvidia Geforce 6600 ) uninstalled/reinstalled , inserted the same DVD that crashed with my system, and it worked fine.
i hope its not one of those random things .
Anyway ,thank you again for your time and help.

Regards

Warmride.

#4 warmride

warmride
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2007 - 05:54 PM

Hello again,

ok ,tried again this morning ..copied data to DVD , copied ok ,played back DVD ..computer crashed !this time no power at all. waited a few seconds switched it back on worked. :thumbsup: new update driver in, fans all cleaned virus scanners ran. must be an overheating problem on Video card??? no funny noises ,no Error messages ,no BSOD.
i have also checked cables ,done Memtest overnight ( ok there ). oh one more thig, my liteon DVD Burner sometimes makes "clicking"noise prior to copying/Burning.
any other ideas out there please?
UPDATE;
now when i burn DVD (working sometimes now Aaaagh! ) it will not read the disc ,message says :
windows cannot read from disk.The disk might be corrupted,or it could be using a format that is not compatible with windows.
i use TDK and Muller Blank DVD's.
these disks that i burnt play on my other computer with same specs (xp etc).
any help greatly appreciated.

Edited by warmride, 23 July 2007 - 07:05 PM.

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 22,942 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2007 - 12:42 AM

Do you have access to an external DVD drive? Maybe you can borrow one from a friend. If so, try playing your DVDs on it and see if you have the same problem. If not, I would suspect it's your DVD drive that is the problem.

Another thing you can try is to disable the AsInsHelp32 service. Go to Device Manager > View > Show Hidden Devices and look under Non-Plug and Play Drivers. Change the startup type to disabled.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 warmride

warmride
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2007 - 02:19 AM

hi again
DVD's play ok on my other computer.
i did as you requested and in the non plug and play drivers there is a yellow exclamation mark ? in : ASinshelp,Intelide, PartMgr and Pcmcia. stating device not present,is not working properly ,or does not have drivers installed.

do i still disable or can it be fixed? thankyou very much again Budapest.

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 22,942 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2007 - 02:34 AM

I would try disabling it. I must add however that I suspect that the ASInsHelp error is not related to your DVD drive problems, but it's worth a shot.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 warmride

warmride
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2007 - 04:26 AM

did that and got BSOD did not like it at all ' done system restore and back to normal , thanks anyway.any other suggestions?

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 22,942 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2007 - 04:40 AM

Next thing I would try is updating the motherboard driver.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 warmride

warmride
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2007 - 05:29 AM

hi again
site was down last night to download bios/motherboard update , now when i try to load CD from CD rom the cursed thing crashes too..reboots at least twice before running ok ,
overheating of some sort ? PSU,Video Card?

many thanks for your input Budapest.

#11 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 22,942 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2007 - 05:33 AM

I wouldn't update the BIOS at this stage but you should try updating the motherboard driver.

If that doesn't work I would suspect that you have a faulty DVD drive.

Have you opened the case to check for any loose connections and clean out any dust?

Edited by Budapest, 25 July 2007 - 05:34 AM.

—George Bernard Shaw

#12 warmride

warmride
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2007 - 06:07 AM

yes i have ,checked all cables ..re-seated cables to both CD & DVD Players cleaned out as much dust as possible .
i did have to replace the fan on my video card last week , and it seems when my CD Rom is "whirring" up thats when my computer dies but after the 2 or 3rd time its ok .
Example : tonight setting up new Printer ,insert CD to add drivers etc can hear the CD boosting up then it dies no power at all ,i unplug the computer then plug it back in it fires up.

#13 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 25 July 2007 - 01:48 PM

Hi warmride. If using either your CD and DVD drive causes the system to crash then the problem is with neither of them. I suspect that the drivers may be corrupted. An easy check is to uninstall the IDE driver, reboot and let the OS reinstall it on reboot.
Control Panel > System > Hardware tab > Device Manager button
Click the plus sign to the left of the entry IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. Right-click on the entry Secondary IDE channel and select Uninstall. Close out of all the windows. Reboot and try playing a DVD to see if there was a change.

#14 warmride

warmride
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 12:05 AM

hi there Pascor
ok ,i will try that now ..i have tried just about everything changing cables unistalling /Reinstalling the CD rom ?DVD Burner .
thanks for you input. et you know how i get on .

Edited by warmride, 26 July 2007 - 12:06 AM.

#15 warmride

warmride
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 05:48 AM

Hi pascor22234

well i did as you suggested tonight , then copied a DVD that was giving me grief, and it copied/played back no problem at all.
i have rebooted my computer several times since ( as getting to sign in ,it would crash too) and so far no issues. :thumbsup:

Seems your suggestion has done the trick ( let you know tomorrow again ) .
Thank you very much for your expertise, very much appreciated

good work & Thankyou again.

kind regards

Warmride. :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users