Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Goes Dead

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mozlink

Mozlink

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 19 July 2007 - 04:33 PM

Working away on the computer (laptop) it just goes dead (screen goes black and immediately afterwards the button light extinguises) When I reboot there is no sign of a safe start up, it starts and loads as if I had just turned it on. After the Windows logo appears, the screen goes black and it takes some time (10-15 secs) for the mouse cursor to appear on the screen before the whole screen springs into life as normal. This timespan seems longer than normal. I also notice that the fan never takes a rest as it did at times in the past. Occasionally, it does rear up but goes back to normal buzz. Does anyone have a suggestion as to why the computer is going dead? It is a 17" Toshiba laptop puirchased in the autumn of 2003.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bbboogie2

bbboogie2

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 19 July 2007 - 06:53 PM

You might check your battery charge, see how much is left, after it shuts off. If it is fully charged then it is not a power problem, which is sometimes the case with a laptop because of the constant re-connecting the power chord. Otherwise it could be memory, if you say it is taking longer for it to boot. I start with memory because it is usually the easiest thing to check. If you have 2 memory modules, taking one out and running it, then taking the other out will pinpoint the problem here. I've read that overheating can cause this too. You can usually "throttle down" the processor (of most laptops) to run at a lower speed to see if it helps. If it does you may have to clean out the vents to get better air flow thru the case to the processor. If you "google" your computer you may be able to find how to take it apart to clean the necessary areas. I've seen a lot of pictured "break downs" of toshiba's, "step-by-step". I would guess that a virus could cause this too but if you have a good virus program then probably not. Again you can google your model to see what problems people are having with it specifically. Good luck

#3 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 17,223 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 19 July 2007 - 08:05 PM

I agree, it sounds like you may have a overheating issue, if the temperature of the CPU raises too high the computer will shut down out of self-preservation. Use a vacuum cleaner to clean out the slotted areas and then use a can of canned air to blow them out. If the PCU heat sink and fan assembly is badly encrusted with dust it may require opening the case to clean it.

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"  Groucho Marx

#4 mand0

mand0

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 19 July 2007 - 10:21 PM

Use a vacuum cleaner to clean out the slotted areas and then use a can of canned air to blow them out.

But make sure that it isn't just any regular vacuum cleaner. It should be one that is made for cleaning computers; you don't wanna destroy your hardware because of electrostatic discharge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users